Passenger carrying trailer - amusement trailer

Find out about conditional registration, acceptable uses and equipment requirements for passenger carrying trailers.

On this page

Conditional registration for passenger carrying trailers

Passenger carrying trailers need to be conditionally registered to be used on public roads and road-related areas.

Conditional registration gives you limited road access to perform specific functions.

You cannot get conditional registration if a vehicle that complies with the construction and equipment requirements of the Australian Design Rules can be used to perform the same function.

Passenger carrying trailer (amusement trailer)

See information about vehicle standards to see what standards apply.

You need a Car (Class C) licence to drive a passenger carrying trailer.

Find out how to apply for conditional registration for a passenger carrying trailer.

Oversize vehicle operators

Vehicles that go beyond the dimension and weight limits must comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. To find out the conditions for:

  • NSW permits – contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371
  • interstate permits – contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487.

Vehicle requirements

Passenger carrying trailers must meet all the following vehicle conditions to apply for conditional registration:

  • each unit must be individually registered
  • when applying for conditional registration, operators must provide a WorkCover Certificate of plant item registration for the trailer. The speed and passenger limits on the certificate will be recorded as conditions of registration
  • operators must provide approval from the management of the intended area of operation (eg Darling Harbour)
  • if the vehicle is operated for hire or reward, contact the Point to Point Transport Commissioner.

SafeWork NSW has certain requirements for plant and amusement vehicles. Operators of these vehicles should discuss specific requirements with officers at SafeWork NSW’s Industrial Construction Unit.

Phone the Information Centre Hotline on 13 10 50 or visit SafeWork NSW.

Conditions of use

The following minimum conditions apply to conditional registration.

Condition Code
Daylight / floodlit worksite use only
Not required if vehicle has headlights
Flashing amber beacon required and used when vehicle moving SL1
Speed limited (speed limit from WorkCover Certificate) SP (speed limit)
Vehicle to be floated from site to site (except that it can travel in areas designated in LO3) LO99
Restricted to designated areas / routes LO3 + free text
Hauling unit must have WorkCover accreditation Free text
Seating capacity not to exceed (insert limit from WorkCover Certificate) Free text

Equipment requirements

To receive conditional registration you must ensure that the following equipment requirements are met.

Equipment Daylight/floodlit use 24 hour use
Amber rotating beacon
Must be displayed on the rear-most carriage
Yes Yes
Brake and turn lights
Must be displayed on the rear-most carriage
Yes Yes
Headlights, tail, number plate and clearance lights No Yes
Rear reflectors Yes Yes
Rear and side reflective tape No No
Rear vision mirror(s) No No
Horn No No


Clearance lights are required on trailers 1.8m or more wide. All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of:

Transport for NSW office use

Code Type Code
Vehicle shape PCT
Compulsory Third Party insurance class Conditional registration - TRLR
Registration usage Not applicable
Top of page