Skid steer loader and bobcat

Find out about conditional registration, acceptable uses and equipment requirements for skid steer loaders.

On this page

What is a skid steer loader?

A skid steer loader, also known as an all-terrain loader or bobcat, is used to excavate or move dirt and sand.

Conditional registration for skid steer loaders


Skid-steer loader


Skid-steer loader


Bobcat (ATL)

Bobcat (ATL)

Conditional registration gives you limited road access to perform specific functions.

You cannot get conditional registration if a vehicle that complies with the construction and equipment requirements of the Australian Design Rules can be used to perform the same function. See information about vehicle standards to see what standards apply.

Find out how to apply for conditional registration for your skid steer loader.

To drive a skid steer loader, you'll need a Car (Class C) licence.

Oversize vehicle operators

Vehicles that go beyond the dimension and weight limits must comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. To find out the conditions for:

  • for NSW permits contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371
  • for interstate permits contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487.

Conditions of use

The following minimum conditions apply to conditional registration.

Condition Code
Daylight / floodlit worksite use only
Note: Not required if vehicle has headlights
Flashing amber beacon required and must be used when vehicle is moving SL1
Vehicle to be floated from site to site (except that it can travel in areas designated in LO3, LO5 or GO93) LO99
Restricted to designated areas / routes
LO3 plus free text
Use only within a defined area road construction zone where a traffic control plan applies
LO5 (only applies for shape code RWP)

Use only for farming purposes

Note: If FARM or UFRM, a Declaration of Eligibility for a Registration Concession (PDF 120.94KB) must be presented with the Application for Conditional Registration (PDF 373.69KB)
Restricted to a maximum speed of 20 km/h SP20

Steering failure warning device / sign required

Note: Only applies to vehicles with hydraulic steering. The maximum speed 20 km/h advisory sign is required where practicable.


Equipment requirements

To receive conditional registration you must ensure that the following equipment requirements are met.

Equipment Daylight / floodlight use
Amber rotating beacon Yes
Brake and turn lights No
Headlights, tail and number plate lights No
Rear reflectors No
Clearance lights or reflective tape Yes
Side reflective tape No
Rear vision mirror(s) Yes
Horn Yes


All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of:

Transport for NSW office use

Code Type Code
Vehicle shape AGP or EWP or LLP or RWP
Compulsory Third Party insurance class Conditional registration - PLNT / FARM
Unregistered Vehicle Permit - UPLN / UFRM
Registration usage Not applicable
Top of page