Soil stabiliser/reclaimer

Find out about conditional registration, acceptable uses and equipment requirements for soil stabilisers and reclaimers.

On this page

What is a soil stabiliser?

A soil stabiliser, also known as soil reclaimer, is used in road construction to mix lime and other materials into soil.

You need a Car (Class C) licence to drive a soil stabiliser.

Conditional registration for soil stabilisers

Soil stabiliser

Soil stabilisers need to be conditionally registered to be used on public roads and road-related areas.

Conditional registration gives you limited road access to perform specific functions.

You cannot get conditional registration if a vehicle that complies with the construction and equipment requirements of the Australian Design Rules can be used to perform the same function.

See information about vehicle standards to see what standards apply.

Find out how to apply for conditional registration for a soil stabiliser.

Oversize vehicle operators

Vehicles that go beyond the dimension and weight limits must comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. To find out the conditions for:

  • NSW permits – contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371
  • interstate permits – contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487.

Vehicle requirements

Soil stabilisers must meet all the following vehicle conditions to apply for conditional registration:

  • These vehicles must travel in their most compact form.
  • Overdimension vehicles require an overdimension permit and must comply with permit conditions.

Conditions of use

The following minimum conditions apply to conditional registration.

Daylight / floodlit worksite use onlyTD1
Flashing amber beacon required and used when vehicle movingSL1
Vehicle to be floated from site to site (except that it can travel in areas designated in LO3, LO5 and GO5)LO99
Restricted to designated areas / routesLO3 + free text
OR Use only with a defined road construction zone where a traffic control plan appliesLO5
Use only by shortest suitable route between depots and worksitesOS1
Oversize permit (general)OS1
OR oversize permit (route specific)OS2
Must not travel more than 5km between each siteFree text
Must travel in most compact form to minimise dimensions and to provide maximum visibility for driverFree text
Restricted to a maximum speed of 45km/h
Note: Applies only to vehicle with hydraulic steering fitted
Steering failure warning device / sign required
Note: Applies only to vehicle with hydraulic steering fitted
‘Left-hand drive’ or ‘Dual Control’ sign required depending on construction
Note: Applies only to vehicle with left-hand drive or dual control steering fitted

Equipment requirements

To receive conditional registration you must ensure that the following equipment requirements are met.

EquipmentDaylight/floodlit use
Amber rotating beaconYes
Brake and turn lightsYes
Headlights, tail and number plateNo
Clearance lights or delineatorsYes
Rear reflectors or reflective tapeYes
Side reflective tapeYes
Rear vision mirror(s)Yes


All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of:

Transport for NSW office use

Code TypeCode
Vehicle shapeEWP / RWP
Compulsory Third Party insurance classConditional registration - PLNT
Unregistered Vehicle Permit - UPLN
Registration usagePLNT or RDWK (RDWN if NRTC vehicle over 4.5 tonned GVM)
Top of page