Tractor - tracked

Find out about conditional registration, acceptable uses and equipment requirements for a tracked tractor.

On this page

What is a tracked tractor?

A tracked tractor uses tracks instead of wheels in areas where ground conditions are wet, or, to reduce soil compaction in agricultural activities.

You need a Car (Class C) licence to drive a tracked tractor.

Tractor - tracked

Tracked tractors need to be conditionally registered to be used on public roads and road-related areas.

Conditional registration gives you limited road access to perform specific functions.

You cannot get conditional registration if a vehicle that complies with the construction and equipment requirements of the Australian Design Rules can be used to perform the same function.

See information about vehicle standards to see what standards apply.

Find out how to apply for conditional registration for a tracked tractor.

Oversize vehicle operators

Vehicles that go beyond the dimension and weight limits must comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. To find out the conditions for:

  • NSW permits – contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371
  • interstate permits – contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487.

Conditions of use

The following minimum conditions apply to conditional registration.

Condition Code
Daylight / floodlit worksite use only TD1
Flashing amber beacon required and used when vehicle moving SL1
Use only for farming purposes GO93
OR use only by the shortest suitable route between depots and worksites GO5
OR restricted to designated areas / routes LO3 + free text
Restricted to maximum speed of 40km/h SP40
Not to be driven on freeways Free text
Not to be parked on roadside Free text
Steering failure warning device / sign required
Note: Applies only for vehicles with hydraulic steering

Equipment requirements

To receive conditional registration you must ensure that the following equipment requirements are met

Equipment Daylight/floodlit use
Amber rotating beacon Yes
Brake and turn lights Yes
Headlights, tail, number plate and clearance lights No
Rear reflectors Yes
Rear and side reflective tape No
Rear vision mirror(s) Yes
Horn Yes


All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of:

Transport for NSW office use

Code Type Code
Vehicle shape TRP (TRT if manufactured before 21-10-1994)

Compulsory Third Party insurance class

Note: If FARM or UFRM, a

Declaration of Eligibility for a Registration Concession (PDF 304.91KB) must be presented with the Application for Conditional Registration (PDF 373.69KB) .

Conditional registration - PLNT / FARM

Unregistered Vehicle Permit - UPLN / UFRM

Registration usage PLNT / PPG / PPGN
Top of page