Wheeled excavator: Registration, uses and equipment

Find out about conditional registration, acceptable uses and equipment requirements for wheeled excavators.

On this page

What is a wheeled excavator?

A wheeled excavator, also known as a digger, backhoe or bucket wheel excavator, is used to remove or move earth on a construction site.

You need a Car (Class C) licence to drive an excavator.

Conditional registration for excavators

Excavator wheeled

Wheeled excavators need to be conditionally registered to be used on public roads and road-related areas.

Conditional registration gives you limited road access to perform specific functions.

You cannot get conditional registration if a vehicle that complies with the construction and equipment requirements of the Australian Design Rules can be used to perform the same function.

See information about vehicle standards to see what standards apply.

Find out how to apply for conditional registration for an excavator.

Oversize vehicle operators

Vehicles that go beyond the dimension and weight limits must comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. To find out the conditions for:

  • NSW permits – contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371
  • interstate permits – contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487.

Vehicle requirements

Wheeled excavators must meet all the following vehicle conditions to apply for conditional registration:

  • These vehicles must travel in their most compact form.
  • Overdimension vehicles require an overdimension permit and must comply with permit conditions.

Conditions of use

The following minimum conditions apply to conditional registration.

Condition Code
Daylight / floodlit worksite use only TD1
Flashing amber beacon required and must be used when vehicle moving. SL1
Vehicle to be floated from site to site (except that it can travel in areas designated in L03, L05, G05 or G093) LO99
Restricted to designated areas/routes (specify area) LO3 + free text
OR use only within a defined road construction zone where a traffic control plan applies (only applies if shape code RWP) LO5
OR Use only for farming purposes GO93
Use only by the shortest suitable route between depots and worksites GO5
Must travel in most compact form to minimise dimensions and to provide maximum visibility for driver Free text
Must not travel more than 5km between each site (applies only with either L03 or L05) Free text
Overmass permit (route specific) – if applicable OM3
Oversize permit (general) – if applicable OS1
OR oversize permit (route specific) – if applicable OS2
Restricted to a maximum speed of 45km/h SP45
Steering failure warning device/sign required
Note: Only applies to vehicles with hydraulic steering.

Equipment requirements

To receive conditional registration you must ensure that the following equipment requirements are met.

Equipment Daylight/floodlit use
Amber rotating beacon Yes
Brake and turn lights Yes
Headlights, tail, number plate lights No
Rear reflectors or reflective tape Yes
Side reflective tape No
Rear vision mirror(s) Yes
Horn Yes


All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of:

Transport for NSW office use

Code Type Code
Vehicle shape AGP / EWP / LLP / RWP

Compulsory Third Party insurance class

Note: If FARM or UFRM, a

Declaration of Eligibility for a Registration Concession (PDF 304.91KB) must be presented with the Application for Conditional Registration (PDF 373.69KB) .
Conditional registration - PLNT / FARM

Unregistered Vehicle Permit - UPLN / UFRM

Registration usage
Note: If PPG or PPGN, a

Declaration of Eligibility for a Registration Concession (PDF 304.91KB) must be presented with the Application for Conditional Registration (PDF 373.69KB) .
PLNT or RDWK (RDWN if vehicle over 4.5 tonnes GVM) or PPG (PPGN if vehicle over 4.5 tonnes GVM)
Top of page