Registering and using a classic vehicle

If your classic vehicle is 30 years of age or older, you may be eligible for classic vehicle registration. Find out how to apply.

On this page

How to register a classic vehicle

You can apply for registration on classic vehicles under the Classic Vehicle Scheme (CVS).

Classic vehicles are 30 years of age or older that have certain modifications not permitted under the Historic vehicle scheme (HVS). Vehicles which are eligible to be registered under the HVS can also be registered under the CVS.

These modifications may be owner certified or significantly modified. If significantly modified, they must have a valid compliance certificate issued by a licensed certifier.

Classic vehicle registration is mainly for operators who only drive their vehicles occasionally. If you drive your classic vehicle more regularly, consider applying for standard registration. See used or secondhand vehicles.


To be eligible for the CVS:

Important  industrial plant, agricultural vehicles and trailers are not eligible for the Classic Vehicle Scheme.

Contact your approved organisation or club to check if you are eligible for registration under the Historic Vehicle Scheme or Classic Vehicle Scheme.

Changing clubs

If you change clubs during your registration period you need to fill out a


Classic Vehicle Declaration (PDF 298.48KB) and get it signed by your new club. Take it to a service centre to get a replacement Certificate of Approved Operations.


Vehicles converted to LPG are allowed providing they are approved by a Transport for NSW recognised historic vehicle club. Find out more about


VSI 14 LPG fuelled vehicles (PDF 3.55MB) .

Applying for classic vehicle registration

You need a number of documents to register a classic vehicle. Find out the process for conditional registration of classic vehicles.

You should also read the classic vehicle sheet to find out the minimum mandatory conditions associated with your vehicle.

Renewing and cancelling registration

Find out how to renew or cancel registration on classic vehicles.

Transferring registration

You can't transfer classic vehicle registration. You need to cancel your registration before a new operator can register the vehicle in their name.

When classic vehicles can be used

If your vehicle has classic vehicle registration, it can only be used:

  • for events organised by primary clubs affiliated with Transport for NSW approved organisations
  • for events organised by community organisations if an official invitation is received and recorded by the primary club in the official minutes or 'Day Book'
  • for short journeys to service and inspect the vehicle from your place of garaging
  • on longer journeys if you notify your primary club and the details are recorded in the primary club's official minutes.

Classic vehicle log books

If you record your vehicle use in a classic vehicle log book, you can drive your registered vehicle for up to 60 days each year outside of organised club events. Find out more about historic and classic vehicle log books.

Using your vehicle for functions

If your classic vehicle is operating a passenger transport service – for example, for weddings or other functions – you must:

  • comply with the Point to Point Transport (Taxis and Hire Vehicles) legislation – see Point to Point Transport
  • seek approval from the club and have the details recorded in the organisation's official minutes or 'Day Book'.

Interstate vehicles and travelling outside NSW

If your classic vehicle is registered in NSW, you may temporarily use it in other states and territories. You'll need to abide by the same conditions that apply in NSW.

If you are visiting from interstate and your vehicle is registered under a similar scheme in your home state or territory, you may use it temporarily in NSW. You'll need to observe the same conditions that apply in your home jurisdiction.

Number plates and certificates

Once they are registered, classic vehicles must display classic vehicle registration number plates.

Name bars may be fixed to the number plate, provided the position of the name bar does not obscure the number plate.

The Certificate of Approved Operations, detailing the conditions applicable to the operation of the vehicle, must be carried in the vehicle whenever it is used on a road or road-related area.

Towing and loads

Classic vehicles can tow a trailer that is either:

Classic vehicles must meet these requirements if carrying a load:

  • Loads cannot be carried for commercial purposes.
  • Loads must be the private property of the vehicle operator and/or carried as part of a club event.
  • Loads must be restrained to the standards detailed in the Load Restraint Guide
  • Busses may only carry 7 occupants unless otherwise approved by Transport for NSW.

Related information

Top of page