Unregistered vehicle permits (UVP)

You can apply for a permit to allow you to make specific journeys in an unregistered vehicle. Find out which vehicles and journeys are eligible.

On this page

What is an unregistered vehicle permit?

A UVP allows an unregistered vehicle to make specific journeys such as:

  • travel from point A to B – single journey
  • travel from point A to B back to A – return journey
  • travel from point A to B to C to D – trips defined over a number of days up to a maximum of 28
  • travel from interstate to NSW
  • travel from NSW to interstate
  • a specific vehicle and purpose (eg. harvesting) for use up to a maximum of 28 days
  • mobile cranes weighing over 4.5 tonnes for travel from point A to B.

UVPs are valid for a specified trip and for the time required to complete the journey by the most direct route. Permits are not issued to cover extra days where a vehicle 'may' be using the roads.

A UVP gives you limited access to roads or road-related areas. It doesn't cover the regular use of a vehicle. Driving without registration or a permit is illegal and penalties apply.

If you need car repairers to pass a registration safety inspection, you may not need a UVP. Find out when you are allowed to drive your car unregistered.

If the vehicle registration is cancelled the number plates must be returned before a UVP can be issued. Unless the vehicle is seasonally registered.

Number plates must be removed from the vehicle before driving with a UVP.

Interstate travel

UVPs can be used in states and territories outside of NSW.

Permits from interstate are recognised in NSW. You must follow the conditions of the permit's home state or territory while driving in NSW.

A permit will not be issued in NSW where the journey is entirely within another state or territory. However, you can get a NSW permit for a journey that starts in another state and ends in NSW.

Vehicles not eligible

Vehicles not eligible for an unregistered vehicle permit include those:

  • carrying a commercial load
  • exempt from registration
  • written off in NSW or interstate
  • showing as stolen
  • currently registered
  • with a defect notice suspended registration
  • modified but without a compliance certificate for the modification.

Applying for a permit

In person

To apply for an unregistered vehicle permit take these documents to a service centre:

By email/post

You can apply for an unregistered vehicle permit by email/post if you:

  • have previously held a NSW registration or licence
  • have a valid email address, and
  • can pay by cheque, credit card or money order.

If you haven't already handed in your number plates, and the registration is cancelled you still need to visit a service centre to do this.

Please ensure you allow up to 7 days to receive the Unregistered Vehicle Permit via post.

If you require an unregistered vehicle permit within the next 7 days, we suggest visiting your local Service NSW Service Centre.

To apply by email/post, send all documents to:

Sending a representative

If you send someone else to get a permit, complete the 'Representative’s Authority' section on the Application for Unregistered Vehicle Permit

form or provide a letter of authority. Your representative must provide their own proof of identity.

CTP insurance

The permit fee includes CTP insurance (also known as a greenslip). CTP insurance only covers you on roads and road-related areas, not on private property.


The UVP outlines the conditions you must follow when you drive on a road or road-related area. These conditions are listed as codes on the permit. To find out what they mean check our list of registration and vehicle codes.

Displaying the permit

If your application is successful you'll be provided with the permit document and label. You must clearly display the label and carry the permit in your vehicle at all times.

The label should be attached to:

  • a vehicle's front windscreen or fixed window on the lower left side for visibility
  • a trailer's number plate space (where the number plate would be if registered)
  • in any other case (eg motorcycles and some plant vehicles), the label must be attached on or beside the vehicle's rear number plate.

Number plates must be removed from the vehicle before driving with a permit.

Top of page