Renew, transfer, convert or cancel seasonal registration

If you have seasonal registration for agricultural or oversnow vehicles, here's how to renew, transfer, cancel or convert your registration.

On this page

Renewing seasonal registration

You will not receive a renewal reminder for a seasonally registered vehicle. Make a note of the expiry date to ensure you renew on time.

You can renew seasonal registration up to 12 months after the expiry date.

If the registration is expired for more than 12 months, you can’t renew, you will have to apply for a new seasonal registration. You will also have to hand in the number plates.

Primary producers may be eligible for a concession on seasonal registration.

Safety check inspections

For light vehicles 4.5 tonnes or less get an inspection from an eSafety Check station.

For vehicles more than 4.5 tonnes get an inspection from a Heavy Vehicle Authorised Inspection Station.

Frequency of inspections

Seasonally registered vehicles must have a safety check inspection in a 12-month period. The inspection must cover the term of the registration.

You can use the inspection report for additional seasonal registration periods if they fall within 12 months of the inspection report date.

For example, if your inspection report is valid between 1 February 2020 and 1 February 2021, it would could cover multiple registration periods including:

  • first registration period – 1 February 2020 to 1 May 2020, and
  • additional registration period – 1 October 2020 to 1 January 2021.

You will need a new inspection report if you want to renew your registration after your inspection report has expired.

Heavy vehicles

If you want to seasonally register your heavy vehicle for more than 9 months within a 12-month period, you must get an HVIS inspection within 28 days of renewal.

To book an inspection call 1300 364 847, or go to a service centre and pay the inspection fee.

You don't need an inspection if your vehicle is enrolled in the National Heavy Vehicle Accreditation Scheme.

Find out more about safety checks and vehicle inspections.

CTP insurance

You must buy compulsory third party (CTP) insurance (green slip) for your seasonal vehicle. Your CTP policy must cover the period of seasonal registration you apply for and must be issued by a NSW insurance provider.

Most insurers send the details of your insurance to us electronically.

Transferring seasonal registration

If you sell a seasonally registered vehicle, the new operator must transfer the registration.

A seasonally registered vehicle can be transferred up to 12 months after the registration expiry date, provided the new operator uses it for agricultural or over-snow purposes.

If the seasonal registration expired more than 12 months ago, the new operator will have to hand in the number plates, and apply for new seasonal registration.

If the vehicle will no longer be used for agricultural or over-snow purposes, the new operator must to hand in the number plates and get standard vehicle registration.

Seasonally registered vehicles cannot be transferred to a motor dealer.

Cancelling seasonal registration

You can cancel your seasonal registration at any time. Cancelling seasonal and general registration follow the same process, see cancelling your registration.

Converting seasonal to general registration

You can convert seasonal registration to standard registration:

  • if your vehicle is no longer used for agricultural or over-snow purposes, or
  • if you want to register your vehicle for a single 12-month term.

To apply for standard registration follow the same steps as for used and secondhand vehicles.

Number plates

Number plates can stay on a seasonally registered vehicle for up to 12 months after the registration has expired, and can be re-used when the registration is renewed.

If the seasonal registration is expired more than 12 months you must:

  • hand in the number plates
  • apply for new registration
  • pay the number plate fee.

If you change a vehicle from standard registration to seasonal registration, you can keep the same plates, as long as the registration is current. The number plates can be used up to 3 months after the expiry date.

Top of page