When you can drive an unregistered vehicle

You can only drive an unregistered vehicle if you're getting or renewing your registration or have an unregistered vehicle permit. Find out the rules.

On this page

Getting or renewing registration

You're allowed to drive unregistered when you're getting or renewing your vehicle registration.

You must drive the most direct or convenient route:

  • to the nearest convenient service centre
  • to the nearest convenient authorised inspection station to determine whether the vehicle complies with the applicable vehicle standards
  • in the course of inspecting or testing the vehicle to determine if it complies with the applicable vehicle standards
  • to the nearest practicable weighbridge to determine the weight of the vehicle
  • from a service centre or authorised inspection station, where registration of the vehicle has been refused, to the nearest convenient place where necessary repairs can be made, or where the vehicle can be garaged, unless a direction has been issued that the vehicle must not be driven until repairs have been made
  • from an authorised inspection station to the nearest convenient place where necessary repairs or adjustments can be made, or where the vehicle can be garaged
  • to the nearest convenient office of a licensed insurer for the purpose of obtaining CTP insurance
  • to the nearest convenient location for any other purpose directly associated with the registration process.

If you need to make trips in an unregistered vehicle and are not getting repairs, insurance or registration, you must apply for an unregistered vehicle permit (UVP) to access the road network. Number plates must be removed from the vehicle before driving with a UVP.

If your registration is refused

If your registration has been refused and you have not been issued a direction not to drive until repairs are made, you can drive your vehicle to:

  • the place where the vehicle is garaged
  • the office of a licensed insurer
  • get the vehicle repaired by a mechanic
  • get the vehicle inspected at an authorised vehicle inspection station
  • a place directly related to the registration process.

Proof of journey

If you're driving without registration and get pulled over by the police, you may need to show them proof that your trip is to get your vehicle registered. We recommend you make an appointment for the inspection which can be verified with the vehicle examiner if required.

Primary producers

Some vehicles used for the purpose of primary production don't have to be registered. These include vehicles solely used to cross a road or road-related area which divides land used for the purpose of primary production.

The following types of agricultural implements don't need registration:

  • implements towed by a vehicle
  • trailers towed by an agricultural machine
  • irrigating equipment
  • augers
  • conveyors
  • harvester fronts and harvest bins.

Agricultural machinery like tractors and harvesters also don't need to be registered.

Find out about primary producer registration concessions.

Farm Fire Fighting Vehicle Trial

  • The Farm Fire Fighting Vehicle (FFFV) trial ended on 31 March 2024.
  • The end of the trial means that all vehicles which customers nominated to be part of the trial will no longer be able to be used on public roads to respond to an emergency bushfire incident from 1 April 2024, unless those vehicles are registered.
  • Transport for NSW would like to thank all those customers who nominated vehicles for the trial.
  • These nominations have provided Transport for NSW with valuable data to help it gain a deeper understanding of the number and type of FFFVs in operation across the state.
  • The analysis of this data will help Transport for NSW’s work, in liaison with the Rural Fire Service and NSW Farmers, towards implementing a safe, permanent solution before the start of the next bushfire season.
Top of page