There are many things to organise after someone dies, all while possibly dealing with grief. Information on first steps and what to consider.
In the first days after someone dies you might need to:
- talk to the healthcare team about next steps and the possibility of organ or tissue donations
- let people know (for example, family, friends)
- think about funeral arrangements and compare services and prices before talking to a funeral director
- find the will
- consider time off work with compassionate or bereavement leave
- organise care for children, dependents or pets (note: sometimes the will has specific instructions in this situation).
If you choose the services of a funeral director, they'll usually:
- organise registering the death
- explain what needs to happens before the funeral
- make arrangements for the transport and care for the person who has died.
For more information about who you need to tell, see LawAccess.