Learn what a chronic illness is, get a diagnosis, and explore your treatment options.
What a chronic illness is
A chronic illness is a long-term condition that may or may not be life threatening. It is common for it to:
- need ongoing treatment and management
- not get better on its own
- affect your day to day life.
Common types of chronic illness
There are many different chronic illnesses. Common illnesses include:
- asthma and bronchitis
- heart disease
- autoimmune disease
- mental health conditions.
Learn more about preventing and managing chronic illness at the Department of Health and Aged Care.
Getting a diagnosis
Not all chronic illnesses are easy to diagnose.
You may need to see more than one doctor or specialist before you get an answer.
A chronic illness requires ongoing care to help you treat and manage your condition.
It’s important to find a doctor or health care team you trust and feel comfortable with who can:
- identify your health care needs
- talk about treatment options
- help you create a chronic disease management plan.
Find a doctor or health service at healthdirect.