Important information - counter closure
- All over-the-counter services are provided by your nearest Service NSW service centre Our registry offices conduct registry weddings and provide ‘click and collect’ services only. Make sure you’ve received a confirmation email from us before visiting the Chippendale or Parramatta registry offices to collect anything.
- Please use our online services to register for births, change of name and relationships or to apply for certificates and we will post these out to you.
Updating registry records
Registry records are historic documents and can usually only be amended to reflect information that was correct at the time of the event. Names or addresses of parents, their ages, occupations or places of birth or marriage will not be updated to reflect more recent circumstances.
You must provide supporting documents with your application to confirm the correct information, such as:
- migration documents
- birth or marriage certificates of the parents
- other documentation confirming the spelling of names, and the correct date of events.
If you’re lodging your application by post, send clear photocopies of your supporting documents, not originals.
- All documents except foreign passports must be current.
- All certificates with incorrect information must be surrendered to the Registry.
- Foreign language documents must be translated into English by a National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) accredited translator.
You must provide at least 3 forms of identification, one of each from categories 1, 2 and 3.
- If you cannot provide identification from Categories 1 and 2, you must still provide at least three forms of identification. At least two of these must be from Category 3.
- If you cannot meet these requirements, please contact us for further advice.
If born in Australia:
Record of immigration status:
|Type of error||Fee|
If the Registry has made an error, a replacement certificate will be made in exchange for the incorrect certificate
If incorrect or incomplete information was supplied at the time of registration, and a replacement certificate is required
|Minimum fee of $60 (including postage & handling)|
- Add $9 for international post.
Processing begins when we have received your complete and correct application.
Please allow up to 4 weeks, including time for delivery by registered post. Estimated times may vary slightly.
Priority processing is not available for corrections.