Start your search for free
Search our records online to learn about your family history and identity.
Your search results will show:
- year of event and
- registration number.
You can search:
- birth records more than 100 years ago
- death records more than 30 years ago
- marriage records more than 50 years ago
Order certificates online
When you find the records you're looking for using our online search, you can buy the certificates you need.
When you search online, the records you find will include a registration number.
Save when you buy birth, marriage and death certificates by including the registration number on your application.
The fees are:
- $35 for each certificate with a registration number
- $48 for each certificate without a registration number.
Online application email delivery
|Online application postal delivery||5|
Submitted by post
Registry agent (Service NSW)
Ancestry research help
To get help with your family research and using our online search tool, take a look at our family history research guide.
For a fee, research can be done for you by the Registry or by a family history transcription agent.
For questions about our family history records, email our family history team.
For technical or system issues email our Technical support team
You can pay a family history transcription agent to search for you. They provide:
- either full or partial details of our records (transcriptions) or
- confirm details of the records we hold.
This option might suit you if you only need the facts, and not full certified copies of certificates.
For information about their service and fees, contact a transcription agent.
To apply for the Registry to search your family history records:
- download and complete the family history search application (PDF, 727.1 KB).
- include all the details of the person you are researching such as full name, date and place of birth, death or marriage and
- complete the payment section.
Searching a date range
If you’re not certain of the date of a birth, marriage or death, try searching a 10-year period.
You can ask us to search a longer period than 10 years at an extra cost:
- $48 for an initial search of up to 10 years (birth, death or marriage certificate)
- add $45 for each additional search of up to 10 years.