The Commissioner is building:
- Action: Implementing legislation and regulation and transforming the focus of the regulator.
- Outcome: NSW has a strong customer focused regulatory framework.
- Action: Work with ratings agencies, insurers and financiers to assist in better selection of industry participants.
- Outcome: Move away from one-size-fits-all participant recognition and better identify risky players.
- Action: Improve accreditation of construction related programs through improved standard modules.
- Outcome: Shared minimum learning content and open source resources for all institutions.
- Action: Establish clear standards for engagement and outputs.
- Outcome: Viable risk allocation and performance accountability.
- Action: Digitise the NSW Building Industry and move away from analogue record keeping.
- Outcome: Shared industry wide platforms that build confidence.
- Action: Evidence based approach to accessing and closing the gap via case studies and other research.
- Outcome: Baseline and measurement against our ability to improve confidence in the industry.
Watch the Commissioner's podcasts
11 May 2020
David gives an update on legislative reform and other key projects that will help to rebuild consumer confidence in the NSW property market.
Read the Commissioner's blogs
Meet the Commissioner
David Chandler OAM is the NSW Building Commissioner
David is improving the quality of construction and restoring trust in the industry.
David has more than 40 years’ experience in the building and construction industry.
David delivered major infrastructure and urban renewal projects including the new Parliament House in Canberra and Melbourne’s South Bank redevelopment.
David performed a leading role in inquiries into the performance of the building industry, including the Building Education Revolution – Implementation Review Taskforce.
As Adjunct Professor in the School of Computing, Engineering and Mathematics at Western Sydney University (2017 to 2019), David helped shape the next generation of construction professionals helped.
David founded the Centre for Smart Modern Construction at Western Sydney University, which invests in new academic and research capabilities for the construction sector.
He was awarded an Order of Australia Medal in 1989 for his services to the construction industry.
Contact the Commissioner
Contact the Building Commissioner to share your experience of buildings with large defects.
To report a serious injury, illness, death or a dangerous incident on a building site, call SafeWork on 13 10 50 immediately.