Choosing where to live
Many factors can influence where people choose to live when they retire. Information on the different options and what to consider.
Retirement can involve substantial changes to the way people live. How and where you choose to spend retirement will depend on several factors like your:
- proximity to family and friends
- community connections
- preferred lifestyle
- health and wellbeing requirements
- level of independence.
For many retirees, the choice may depend on how much money they have to retire on and where they can make that money support the lifestyle they prefer for as long as possible.
Other considerations that could impact where to live in retirement include the availability of:
- hospital and medical facilities
- part-time work, small business or volunteering opportunities
- an accessible, public transport network.