Getting regular health checks
Information on the regular health checks and screenings recommended for those aged 50 and over.
healthdirect has information on a range of risk factors that can contribute to certain diseases, like heart disease, stroke, diabetes, kidney disease and cancer.
From your 50s and onwards, it's recommended you take regular screening measures to address the common health challenges that come with ageing.
- dental check-up
- regular skin cancer checks
- an osteoporosis risk assessment
- an eye test on reaching 65
- consider a flu vaccination every year (over 60).
Checks every 2 years
- a heart disease risk assessment
- a blood pressure check
- a mammogram (women)
- a check for bowel cancer
- an eye test up to age 65, than annually thereafter
- a blood glucose test (every 3 years).
Checks every 5 years
- cholesterol and lipids checked
- a cervical screening test (women)
Manage your health in your 50s and beyond at healthdirect.