Pubs, clubs, small bars, breweries, casinos
Resources and guidance for developing a COVID Safety Plan for your pub, club, small bar, cellar door, brewery, distillery, karaoke bar or casino.
On this page
Changes to customer record keeping for hospitality venues
As of January 1 2021, all hospitality venues will be required to use the NSW Government QR code system.
For more information for Clubs on specific requirements under the Registered Clubs Act 1976 during COVID-19, see the Liquor & Gaming NSW Statement of Regulatory Intent.
How many people are allowed
Full details are provided in the physical distancing section of the COVID-19 Safety Plan.
|Pubs, clubs, small bars, cellar doors, breweries, distilleries, karaoke bars or casinos||Maximum capacity summary|
Capacity in regions outside of Greater Sydney must not exceed one customer per 2 square metres of publicly accessible space. In Greater Sydney, capacity must not exceed 300 patrons, OR one patron per 4 square metres of publicly accessible space, whichever is less.
Children count towards the capacity limit.
Note: ‘Greater Sydney’ means Greater Sydney as defined by the Public Health (COVID-19 Restrictions on Gathering and Movement) Order (No 7) 2020.
There should be no dancefloors, including in nightclubs, except for weddings. Only the wedding party to a maximum of 20 are permitted.
COVID-19 Safety Plans and registration are mandatory
Under Public Health Orders, all pubs, clubs, small bars, cellar doors, breweries, distilleries, karaoke bars and casinos in NSW must complete a COVID-19 Safety Plan.
Complete the plan in consultation with your staff, then share it with them.
All pubs, clubs, small bars, cellar doors, breweries, distilleries, karaoke bars and casinos must also register as COVID Safe.
Keep your plan up to date
You may need to update the plan in the future, as restrictions and advice changes.
You will need to have an up to date plan at your premises at all times and be able to show it to an authorised officer if requested.
Your COVID-19 Safety Plan
You can either:
- use the provided COVID-19 Safety Plan to address the checklist of matters for your pub, club, small bar, cellar door, brewery, distillery, karaoke bar or casino
- keep using your existing plan, if you have one, after making sure it includes all the items in the provided COVID-19 Safety Plan.
Things to note:
- If you complete the plan online it will take 30 to 45 minutes and must be completed in one session.
- To calculate the maximum number of people you can have on your premises, you will need to know the floor areas in square metres.
- Venues must have a COVID-19 Safety Plan for each food and drink area. There should be no contact between customers or staff from different food and drink areas.
- You may need to review current NSW Health guidance on the following areas before completing your plan:
- Ensure COVID-19 Safety Plans are in place, where relevant, for:
Register as a COVID Safe business
If you've completed your COVID-19 Safety Plan, you can register as COVID Safe.
Watch how one hospitality business became COVID Safe
Information for the hospitality industry