When NSW eases restrictions in December 2021
NSW is following a clear path out of the pandemic and lockdowns.
Restrictions are expected to ease further from 1 December 2021, with changes including:
- most venues moving to the 2sqm rule
- people who are not fully vaccinated will have greater freedoms.
For all NSW citizens, regardless of your vaccination status
Masks and QR codes
- Masks required only for public transport, planes and airports, and indoor front-of-house hospitality staff.
- Masks no longer required in outdoor settings (including for front-of-house hospitality staff).
- Proof of vaccination no longer required by Public Health Order.
Visiting family and friends
- No limit to number of visitors in your home.
- No limit to number of people for informal outdoor gatherings and recreation.
- All visitors to residents in aged care facilities and disability homes permitted in line with their policies.
Exercise and recreation
- No person limit in gyms, indoor recreation and sporting facilities, density limits apply.
- Indoor swimming pools reopen for all purposes.
- Community sports permitted for all staff, spectators and participants.
- Students already returned to face-to-face learning.
Shopping and personal services
- Non-critical retail reopens to all, density limits apply.
- No person limit for personal services (including hairdressers, spas, beauty and nail salons, tattoo and massage parlours), density limits apply.
- Sex on premises venues and sex services premises open with density limits of 1 person per 4sqm.
Restaurants and hospitality
- No person limit in hospitality settings, density limits still apply.
- Singing and dancing permitted indoors and outdoors.
- Drinking indoors and outdoors may be seated or standing.
Working from home
- Employers allow staff to work from home at their discretion.
Events and entertainment
- No person limit for major recreation facilities (including stadiums, theme parks and race courses), subject to density limits or 100% of fixed seated capacity.
- No person limit for entertainment facilities (including cinemas and theatres), subject to density limits or 100% of fixed seated capacity.
- No person limit for information and education facilities (including art galleries, museums and libraries), density limits still apply.
- No person limit for ticketed and seated outdoor public gatherings. COVID-19.
- Safety Plans required for attendance over 1000.
- Nightclubs and strip clubs open with density limit of 1 person per 4sqm. Drinking while standing and dancing permitted.
Amusement centres reopen with density limits.
Weddings and religious services
- Weddings permitted with no person limit, eating and drinking allowed while standing and dancing permitted, density limits still apply.
- Funerals permitted with no person limit, and eating and drinking allowed while standing, density limits still apply.
- Places of worship open with singing permitted by all, density limits still apply.
Travel and transport
- Travel between Greater Sydney and Regional NSW permitted.
- Carpooling permitted for all.
- Caravan parks and camping grounds remain open (including for people who are not fully vaccinated).
About the roadmap
The roadmap may be fine-tuned as NSW Health monitors the COVID-19 situation over the coming weeks.
Density limits of 1 person per 2sqm indoor and outdoor areas apply to most activities listed above.