Applying for a commemorative marriage certificate
Learn how to apply for a commemorative marriage certificate if you were married in NSW, and how to correct an error on your certificate.
A commemorative marriage certificate is different to the:
- ceremonial certificate given to you on the day of your wedding
- official marriage certificate issued by the Registry
A commemorative marriage certificate:
- shows only the basic details of your marriage
- cannot be used to prove your identity
- cannot be used to change your name after marriage
- comes in a range of designs
You'll need to apply for a standard official marriage certificate if you want to prove your identity or marriage.
See the range of commemorative marriage certificate designs.
How to apply for a NSW commemorative marriage certificate
You can apply for a NSW commemorative marriage certificate if:
- the marriage took place in NSW
- you are one of the people named in the marriage
Celebrants can order the marriage certificate on your behalf within 2 months from the date of the ceremony.
You can apply for a marriage certificate at any time after your marriage, once the marriage has been registered.
You can also apply to get a replacement marriage certificate if you have lost the original copy.
To apply for a commemorative marriage certificate, you will need to provide:
You can apply online, or:
- by downloading a marriage certificate application form (PDF 454.35KB)
- in person at a Service NSW service centre
Proof of identity documents
To apply for a NSW commemorative marriage certificate you will need to provide:
- at least 3 forms of current identity
- one form of identity each from categories 1, 2 and 3
If you cannot provide proof of identity documents from categories 1 and 2:
- you must still provide at least 3 forms of identity
- at least 2 of these should be from category 3
If you cannot meet these requirements, contact the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages.
|1||If born in Australia:
Record of immigration status:
How much a commemorative marriage certificate costs
|Certificate request||Standard service||Priority service|
|Commemorative marriage certificate||$41||Not available|
|Commemorative and standard marriage certificate||$87||$115|
All prices include postage and handling. Add $9 for international post.
How long it takes to get a commemorative marriage certificate
Your marriage certificate will be processed once your application has been received. There can be delays if the information in your application is:
- incomplete, or
How long it takes depends on how you apply. It's much quicker for marriages registered online by your marriage celebrant.
Check with your celebrant if they can apply for a marriage certificate for you.
Certificates are delivered by registered post. The processing time does not include delivery, which can take up to 6 working days.
Priority processing is only available for commemorative marriage certificate designs when ordered as a package with a standard marriage certificate.
|Commemorative marriage certificate applications||Standard service|
|Online application||Up to 4 weeks|
|Submitted by post||Up to 8 weeks|
|Registry agents (Service NSW)||Up to 5 weeks|
If there’s an error on your marriage certificate
You can apply to correct an error if you’ve received your marriage certificate and the details are incorrect.
This will be free if the registry made the error. There will be an additional cost if you supplied incorrect or incomplete information.
You’ll need to:
- return the original certificate by post
- provide 3 proof of identity documents
- send the correct information on the correct an entry form (PDF 1.96MB)
Learn how to correct an error on your marriage certificate.