NSW Premier Mike Baird said Sydney needed world class sporting venues and that the investment would ensure fans and sporting teams had the facilities they deserved.
“Our first priority is building a new 30,000 seat stadium at Parramatta on the site of the existing facility, with work to begin as soon as possible and construction expected to be completed by 2019,” Mr Baird said.
“This huge investment in our stadia will boost our capacity to attract big ticket events to NSW, as well as create and support thousands of jobs.”
Along with the Parramatta stadium, other upgrades and new stadiums will include a:
- new rectangular stadium at Moore Park with 50,000 to 55,000 seats
- redevelopment of Stadium Australia that could include a retractable roof
- new indoor arena near the CBD
- new outer western Sydney sporting venue
- completion of the SCG upgrade.
$600 million has been set aside in Rebuilding NSW and the NSW Government will provide a further allocation of funding to complete the projects.