Registry offices closed - expect delays
Due to the current COVID-19 outbreak, we have closed our Registry offices and there will be a delay in our regular processing times. If you need a certificate urgently, use our online services and select ‘priority’.
We’re working hard to support our customers during this challenging time and thank you for your patience.
You can apply to add a parent to the birth registration if the birth was registered in NSW.
If the child was born as a result of a fertilisation procedure:
- both parents must have been in a married or de facto relationship at the time of the procedure, and
- the parent to be added to the register must have consented to the procedure.
You will receive a birth certificate including both parents.
How to apply
Complete the Add a parent to a birth application (PDF, 875.32 KB)
Apply by post
If you are applying by post, you must enclose copies of your identity documents certified by a:
- Justice of the Peace
- notary public
- practising solicitor / lawyer
- Service NSW officer or
- other approved witness listed on the application form.
Applying in person
Bring your original identity documents with you to a Service NSW service centre.
Foreign language documents must be translated into English by a National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) accredited translator.
You must provide a least 3 forms of current identification.
- At least one must be provided from Category 1 and must contain your full name, date of birth and place of birth.
- At least two must be from Category 2 and 3, or 3 and 4.
- If you cannot meet these requirements, please contact us.
|1||If born in Australia:
Record of immigration status:
|Adding parent information to a registration||$73|
|Apply to add a parent to a birth certificate (includes issues of standard birth certificate)||$133|