You can apply to add a parent to the birth registration if the birth was registered in NSW.
If the child was born as a result of a fertilisation procedure:
- both parents must have been in a married or de facto relationship at the time of the procedure, and
- the parent to be added to the register must have consented to the procedure.
You will receive a birth certificate including both parents.
Complete the Add a parent to a birth application (PDF, 973.81 KB)
Apply by post
If you are applying by post, you must enclose copies of your identity documents certified by a:
- Justice of the Peace
- notary public
- practising solicitor / lawyer
- Service NSW officer or
- other approved witness listed on the application form.
Applying in person
Bring your original identity documents with you to a Service NSW service centre.
Foreign language documents must be translated into English by a National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) accredited translator.
You must provide a least 3 forms of current identification.
- At least one must be provided from Category 1 and must contain your full name, date of birth and place of birth.
- At least two must be from Category 2 and 3, or 3 and 4.
- If you cannot meet these requirements, please contact us.
|1||If born in Australia:
Record of immigration status:
|Adding parent information to a registration||$73|
|Apply to add a parent to a birth certificate (includes issues of standard birth certificate)||$133|