Important information - counter closure
- All over-the-counter services are provided by your nearest Service NSW service centre Our registry offices conduct registry weddings and provide ‘click and collect’ services only. Make sure you’ve received a confirmation email from us before visiting the Chippendale or Parramatta registry offices to collect anything
- Please use our online services to register for births, change of name and relationships or to apply for certificates and we will post these out to you.
You can apply to add a parent to the birth registration if the birth was registered in NSW.
If the child was born as a result of a fertilisation procedure:
- both parents must have been in a married or de facto relationship at the time of the procedure, and
- the parent to be added to the register must have consented to the procedure.
You will receive a birth certificate including both parents.
Complete the Add a parent to a birth application (PDF, 875.32 KB)
Apply by post
If you are applying by post, you must enclose copies of your identity documents certified by a:
- Justice of the Peace
- notary public
- practising solicitor / lawyer
- Service NSW officer or
- other approved witness listed on the application form.
Applying in person
Bring your original identity documents with you to a Service NSW service centre.
Foreign language documents must be translated into English by a National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) accredited translator.
You must provide a least 3 forms of current identification.
- At least one must be provided from Category 1 and must contain your full name, date of birth and place of birth.
- At least two must be from Category 2 and 3, or 3 and 4.
- If you cannot meet these requirements, please contact us.
|1||If born in Australia:
Record of immigration status:
|Adding parent information to a registration||$73|
|Apply to add a parent to a birth certificate (includes issues of standard birth certificate)||$133|