Replace certificates after a change of name

If your change of name was completed in NSW after 1 April 1996, you can apply for a replacement certificate.

Records we don't hold

We don’t hold records for changes of name completed before April 1996, such as deed polls.

What you'll need

If you are applying for your own certificate, you must provide the following:

  • Three forms of your own proof of identity

If you are applying for a certificate on behalf of another person, you must provide the following:

Important: Do not laminate your certificates. Identity documents must be kept in their original state to be accepted by Government agencies.

Order a replacement certificate

Who can apply

If you have changed your name or your child's name and require a replacement of the certificate, you can apply for a replacement change of name certificate.

If your child is now aged over 18 years, and you applied for the original change of name as a parent, you are entitled to a replacement certificate.

If you are not the person named on the certificate or you did not apply for the original change of name, you must:

Proof of identity

You must provide at least 3 forms of current identity, one of each from Categories 1, 2 and 3.

  • If you cannot provide proof of identity from Categories 1 and 2, you must still provide at least 3 forms of identity. At least two of these must be from Category 3.
  • If you cannot meet these requirements, contact us for further advice.
Category Documents
1 If born in Australia:
  • Australian birth certificate
Record of immigration status:
  • Citizenship certificate
  • New Zealand citizenship certificate together with passport
  • New Zealand birth certificate
  • Australian driver's licence
  • Australian passport
  • Firearms licence
  • Foreign passport
  • Proof of age card
  • Medicare card
  • Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs card
  • Security/Crowd control licence
  • Tertiary education institution ID card
  • Recent utility account with current residential address (issued within last three months)




Certificate request Standard service Priority service
​Replacement change of name certificate $60 $88
  • All prices include postage & handling. Add $9 for international post.
How to apply

If your change of name was completed after April 1996 you can apply for a replacement change of name certificate by:

Errors on the certificate

If there are errors on the certificate:

  • return the original certificate to us by post
  • provide 3 proof of identity documents and
  • send us the correct information on the correct an entry form.

Processing times

Processing of your replacement change of name certificate begins when we have received your complete and correct application.

  • Certificates are delivered by registered post and we have allowed a week for this in the times below. Estimated times may vary slightly.
  • When you apply online you can Click & Collect urgent certificates from our Registry offices in Chippendale and Parramatta.
  • Australia Post advises customers to anticipate delays with international post.


Certificate request

​Standard service

​Priority service

Online application

up to 4 weeks

up to 2 weeks

​​By post

up to 10 weeks

up to 7 weeks

​​Registry agents (Service NSW)

up to 7 weeks

up to 3 weeks

Top of page