We aim to handle complaints fairly, efficiently and effectively.
If there’s something we can do to improve our products, transactions, or service, we encourage you to let us know.
How to make a complaint
You can make a complaint:
The team at Service NSW can help with your complaint, complete an online form.
Call us on 13 77 88
We're available 7am to 7pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 5pm weekends and public holidays.
Hearing or speech impairment
If you have a hearing or speech impairment, you can contact us through
- voice calls or telephone typewriter (TTY) call 133 677 then ask for 13 77 88
- speak and listen service call 1300 555 727 then ask for 13 77 88
- SMS relay service on 0423 677 767 then type 13 77 88
- make an internet relay call then type 13 77 88.
Call TIS National on 13 14 50 between 8:30 am and 5:00 pm Monday – Friday.
Write to us at:
GPO Box 7057 Sydney NSW 2001.
Anonymous complaints and feedback
Anonymous feedback can provide us with useful information that can lead to service improvements. This feedback will be registered and referred to the relevant area for review.
We are unable to respond to any anonymous information.
Complaints from Aboriginal people
We welcome complaints from Aboriginal people about our services, staff, programs, and service delivery.
You have the option of letting us know if you are Aboriginal so we can provide our complaint handling services in a culturally safe and respectful way.
More information about how we engage with community to make DCS a culturally safe space is available in our Aboriginal Engagement Strategy (PDF 13.1MB).
Request a review
If you are not satisfied with a response to your complaint, you can request a review by:
- contacting the person you have been dealing with and request a review. Your request will be escalated internally to an appropriate person for review and response.
- contact the NSW Ombudsman on 9286 1000 or toll free 1800 451 524.
The NSW Ombudsman expects complainants to try to resolve their concerns directly with the agency before they will consider becoming involved.
Complaint handling policy
Our Complaint handling policy underpins our commitment to acknowledge, investigate and respond to customer complaints and feedback, and to be open to opportunities to improve our systems and service.
We are guided by five key principles that support our complaints handling processes.
- we enable complaints and make it easy for you to register a complaint or feedback
- we respond to complaints quickly and keep you informed
- we resolve complaints quickly and flexibly
- we are objective and fair, and no customer is disadvantaged by lodging a complaint
- we ensure confidentiality where this is practical and appropriate.
Managing unreasonable customer behaviour
Most customers behave respectfully and responsibly when engaging with us.
In a small number of cases, customers may behave in ways that are concerning and difficult to manage, despite our efforts to assist.
Read about how unreasonable behaviour will be managed on the Managing unreasonable customer behaviour web page.
The way we collect, store and use any of your personal information is regulated by law.
More information regarding the privacy of your information can be found on our Privacy page.
Complaints about DCS agencies
You can make a complaint about a DCS agency to Service NSW by calling 13 77 88 or completing an online form.
Or, you can contact the agency directly.
Complaints about industry or business
Complaints about industry or business need to directed to the regulating agency.
- State Insurance Regulatory Authority - for greenslips, motor accidents, workers compensation and home building.
- Fair Trading NSW - renting, buying products and services, cars, real estate, games of chance, short-term rentals, holiday parks, etc.
- Safework NSW - workplace health and safety concerns.