Buying and registering a vehicle

Planning to buy a car but unsure about rego? Here’s how to check registration before you buy, get registration in your name and understand costs.

Flood damaged vehicles

Recent flooding has damaged many vehicles, including caravans and camper trailers. 
Many of these vehicles may be assessed and declared as written-off due to a total economic loss. These vehicles may be added to the written-off vehicles register and will not be able to be re-registered for use on our roads. 
Some vehicles will not be considered a total loss and won’t be entered into the register. These vehicles could be sold at auction or private sale. 
We recommend you inspect any vehicle thoroughly and seek advice prior to purchase.

On this page

Checking registration

Before you buy a car, it's a good idea to do a rego check. You can check a vehicle's registration details online for free through Service NSW. All you need is the vehicle's NSW registration plate number to find:

  • the registration expiry date
  • whether the registration is suspended or cancelled
  • any registration restrictions
  • any registration concessions (additional charges that might apply when transferred to a new owner)
  • the Compulsory Third Party insurer and policy expiry date.

Registering your vehicle

All vehicles that are driven or towed on NSW roads must be registered. This includes trailers, caravans and motorcycles.

Depending on whether you’ve bought your vehicle brand new or secondhand, you’ll need to do one of the following:

Additional steps apply for:

Conditional registration

If you buy a vehicle that has conditional registration, such as a classic or historic vehicle, a street rod or rally car, the registration cannot be transferred. The previous owner will need to cancel their registration and you'll need to apply for conditional registration in person at a service centre.

Who can register a vehicle

You don't need to hold a driver licence to register a vehicle in NSW. However, if you don't have a NSW licence, you need to have a customer number with us before you can register a vehicle in your name.

To get a customer number, go to a service centre with your proof of identity and a completed


If you need a customer number for an organisation, visit a service centre with your organisation's proof of identity and a completed


Once you are set up in our system, you'll be able to register a vehicle.


A vehicle can be registered in the name of one person, or in the name of an incorporated organisation. Vehicles cannot be registered in more than one name.

Organisations must be a legal entity (for example, an incorporated company) to register a vehicle.

The person or organisation named on the Certificate of Registration is the registered operator of the vehicle, and is responsible for itThe registered operator of a vehicle is not necessarily the owner of the vehicle.

To be the registered operator of:

  • a light vehicle (4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass or less) you must be at least 16 years old
  • a heavy vehicle you must be at least 18 years old.

Registration costs

Use our calculator to estimate the cost of transferring, renewing or getting a new registration.

Use the NSW government greenslip calculator to compare CTP insurance costs for all insurers.

Or check if you're eligible for a registration concession.

Vehicle inspections

An inspection report may be required to register a vehicle and ensure it complies with vehicle identity, design and safety standards. Find out more about safety checks and inspections.

If your vehicle requires an inspection by Transport’s Vehicle Identity & Inspections Unit you’ll be informed when you apply for registration.

Top of page