Consumer protection and complaints handling - Smart and Skilled
Approved Smart and Skilled training providers must have a system in place for consumer protection and complaints handling. All Smart and Skilled consumers have a right to receive quality training.
This page outlines what's required for training providers for consumer protection under Smart and Skilled.
For students, see Smart and Skilled Consumer protection - information for students
At any time you can contact Training Services NSW to find out more about what’s required.
Training provider responsibilities
Smart and Skilled training providers’ obligations include but are not limited to:
- providing the training and support necessary to allow a consumer to achieve competency
- providing a quality training and assessment experience for all consumers
- ensuring their organisation, staff and agents meet public expectations of ethical behaviour at all times
- conducting marketing activities with integrity, accuracy and transparency and without financial incentives or other inducements to consumers
- ensuring prospective consumers are properly informed about their subsidised training entitlements, their fees and their responsibilities and obligations
- providing a clear and accessible feedback and consumer protection system including an identified consumer protection officer
- maintaining procedures for protecting a consumer’s personal information.
Check you’re meeting requirements
The Smart and Skilled Consumer Protection Strategy includes the requirements for a consumer protection and complaints handling for training providers.
The Consumer Protection Strategy:
- defines the rights and obligations of students and consumers with respect to their training under Smart and Skilled
- defines the consumer protection obligations of a training provider with a Smart and Skilled contract
- explains the measures the NSW Department of Education (the Department) has implemented to protect the rights of students receiving training under Smart and Skilled
- describes the Smart and Skilled complaints handling and dispute resolution process.