Smart and Skilled prices, fees and subsidies
The NSW Government sets qualification prices and student fees for Smart and Skilled training. Here's how the Student fees and prices work for approved training providers.
Staying up to date
As a training provider, you need to keep track of fees and subsidies for Smart and Skilled courses. These are courses subsidised by the NSW Government for eligible students.
In addition to the information below, Training Services NSW provides updates to providers in the Smart and Skilled program via this website, email communications and through Logins for approved providers.
How student fees work under Smart and Skilled
There are different categories of student fees based on the program, qualification and student characteristics.
Important points to remember:
1. The subsidy is paid direct to the training provider
- The student pays a portion of the qualification price (known as the “student fee”).
- The balance of the qualification price (known as the “subsidy”) is paid by the NSW Government directly to the training provider.
2. The fee is the same regardless of provider
The student fee is the same regardless of which Smart and Skilled provider the student chooses to deliver the Smart and Skilled qualification.
A single set of fees applies to government-subsidised training delivered by approved public, community and private providers.
The Skills Navigator lets students get an estimate of the course fee. The navigator can also help them check their eligibility, find the right course and provider.
3. Fees are for the full qualification
Smart and Skilled fees are set for the full qualification, not yearly or by semester.
4. Students must be advised of additional fees up front
Smart and Skilled providers must publish and advise students up front, before they enrol, of any additional charges apart from the student fee. Also see Fee administration policy and SBAT fee administration policy, For student information see Skills NSW.
Get fees and prices lists
The following documents provide detailed information on:
- Smart and Skilled qualification prices
- student fees
- additional payments over and above the subsidy (known as “loadings”).
To calculate the subsidy, you can subtract the relevant fee from the qualification price.
- Smart and Skilled: Prices and fees
For more about qualification prices see NSW Skills List for Smart and Skilled.
There's a top-up subsidy paid to training providers to compensate for training particular categories of students, including remotely based. See Loadings for details.
Skilling for Recovery
For information on Skilling for Recovery see NSW Skills List for Smart and Skilled