Northern Rivers – about
NSW Reconstruction Authority manages the rebuilding of flood-impacted communities in the Northern Rivers region. Find out more about their approach, roadmap and governance.
The NSW Reconstruction Authority manages the rebuilding of flood-impacted communities in the Northern Rivers region.
The authority manages the rebuilding of Northern Rivers communities by coordinating planning, rebuilding and construction work across multiple government agencies.
This information is available in an Auslan interpreted video.
The authority is working with stakeholders and communities within the 7 local government areas in the Northern Rivers:
- Clarence Valley
- Richmond Valley
As much as possible, the approach is focused on:
- community-led recovery
- locally specific solutions
- evidence-based programs
- collaborative, scalable and capability building programs
- consideration of social, cultural, economic and environmental factors across all reconstruction programs and initiatives.
The authority has 3 key objectives. These translate into 3 core streams of work, building toward a long-term adaptation plan for the region:
- Deliver resilient homes: build the disaster resilience of existing homes, and ensure new homes are built to be safer in place.
- Drive social and economic recovery: drive the economic recovery and adaptation of businesses, industries and local economies.
- Construct critical infrastructure: restore and build resilience of critical infrastructure.
Region-wide All Hazards Risk Assessment
Each stream is underpinned by a common, region wide All Hazards Risk Assessment, ensuring all decisions consider future natural hazard risk.
This ‘all-hazards’ approach is consistent with the recommendation from the NSW Flood Inquiry.
The Northern Rivers Reconstruction Authority (NRRC) was established in July 2022 to lead the reconstruction of the NSW Northern Rivers following the devastating February and March 2022 flood events.
The NRRC transitioned to the NSW Reconstruction Authority in July 2023 and reports to the NSW Reconstruction Authority Chief Executive.
NRRC Advisory Board July 2022 – August 2023
The NRRC Advisory Board was established on 2 July 2022 and held its first meeting on Friday 5 August 2022. Following the transition of the NRRC to the NSW Reconstruction Authority, the NRRC Board was dissolved on Wednesday 16 August 2023.
The NRRC Advisory Board played a pivotal role in helping guide flood recovery and reconstruction efforts in the Northern Rivers and the NRRC will continue to engage with Advisory Board members through other forums and with key stakeholder groups across the Northern Rivers.
Work with the Northern Rivers Reconstruction Corporation
New roles and opportunities with the NRRC will be made available on I work for NSW website
What we don't do
The Northern Rivers Reconstruction Corporate does not manage:
- temporary housing
- disaster and emergency response activities
- health, mental health or wellbeing support services
- financial advisory or legal support services.