Get help with rental disputes

If you have a dispute that you cannot solve directly with the landlord or agent, you can get help from several organisations.

Tenancy support

The Tenants Advice and Advocacy Services offers free and independent information, advice and advocacy for tenants in NSW.

The Aboriginal Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service offers information, advice, advocacy and representation services for Aboriginal tenants in NSW.

Dispute resolution

NSW Fair Trading offers a free tenancy dispute resolution process for those who can’t come to an agreement with their landlord

NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal is an independent organisation that can help resolve tenancy disputes between landlords and tenants in NSW if: 

  • the NSW Fair Trading tenancy dispute resolution process is unsuccessful
  • a termination order to end the lease is being sought, or
  • the NSW Fair Trading tenancy dispute resolution process doesn’t cover your type of complaint

Learn more about preparing for and attending a tribunal hearing at NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

Legal support

LawAccess NSW on 1300 888 529 is a free government telephone service that provides legal information, referrals and advice.

Community Legal Centres NSW is an independent, not for profit organisation that offers free legal assistance to people in NSW.

Women’s Legal Service NSW on 1800 801 501 offers free specialist legal services to women in NSW, including those related to domestic violence, family law and child protection.

NSW Anti-Discrimination Board to make a complaint if you think you've been discriminated against while looking for or occupying a rental property