A cost guide to making a will
Costs to prepare a will vary depending on several factors, including:
- how extensive your estate is
- the structure and nature of your assets
- how simple or complex your wishes are for the distribution of these assets
As a price guide, NSW Trustee & Guardian charges a set fee of around $330 to create a will, and $220 for updates to wills they create.
However, their will preparation services are free for people eligible for a full Centrelink age pension, including people receiving other government benefits, such as a Department of Veterans' Affairs pension, who would otherwise be eligible for a full Centrelink age pension.
You may also want to consider:
- do it yourself kits, which start at around $50, but it's strongly recommended you get it checked by a professional to make sure it's accurate and valid
- online services, which are reviewed by a legal expert, can cost from $200 to $400 or more, with an annual subscription for ongoing updates
- solicitors, who can charge from a few hundred to several thousand dollars or more, depending on your circumstances