Starting high school

This is a guide for parents and carers who want to enrol their child in a public high school in NSW. It provides information on selecting a school, enrolling your child and getting financial support.

High schools are different from primary schools:

  • classes are organised differently 
  • there are more core and elective subjects
  • they can be larger in size
  • students have more personal responsibility

Preparing for high school

Getting ready to send your child to high school involves:

Once enrolled, you may also want to: