Pre-mining property inspections
Subsidence Advisory NSW encourages property owners in areas where underground mining is planned in the near future to have a pre-mining inspection (PMI) carried out on their property.
The purpose of a PMI is to determine the condition of a property before mining commences. PMIs are an added protection for property owners to ensure they receive adequate compensation to return their property to its pre-mining condition should it be impacted by subsidence.
- are free of charge
- take approximately two hours to complete
- help with a straightforward claims process if a property is impacted by mine subsidence.
Further detail on the PMI process is provided in Item 4 of the Guidelines - Process for Claiming Mine Subsidence Compensation (PDF 149.56KB). This document is an approved procedure under the Coal Mine Subsidence Compensation Act 2017 (the Act).
- If you have been contacted about scheduling a PMI inspection, please request a PMI to book a time convenient for you.
- PMI’s may be completed by Subsidence Advisory or the Mine Proprietor. All PMIs are conducted for the purpose of documenting the condition of a property prior to mining occurring, with photos taken during the inspection for reference.
- Only one PMI is required for each property and the inspection report is shared with property owners, the Mine Proprietor and Subsidence Advisory on completion. On receipt of a PMI request, we will confirm who will carry out the inspection and arrange a convenient date and time for you.
- Please note, compensation claims under the Act must be lodged with Subsidence Advisory. We manage claims from start to finish and will provide you with a dedicated point of contact to support you throughout the process. We will involve the relevant Mine Proprietor at key stages to ensure processes are completed in accordance with the Approved Procedures under the Act.
Request a PMI
You can request a pre-mining inspection (PMI) through the Subsidence Advisory Portal.
Pre-mining inspections must be completed before mining commencing.
- You will be redirected to the Subsidence Advisory Portal, please register/login with a MyServiceNSW Account.
- From the Subsidence Advisory Portal homepage, select ‘Other Enquiries (including pre-mining inspection requests)’.
- Follow the prompts and select submit on the final page to lodge your request.
Call Subsidence Advisory NSW on (02) 4908 4300, 8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday, if you need help or advice with pre-mining inspections.