Skip to main content

You may require a single status certificate if you intend to be married overseas or if you're returning to your country of residence to be married.

How to apply

You can apply for single status certificate if you are:

  • a NSW resident
  • a previous NSW resident
  • an authorised representative.

A single status certificate only covers the period in which you are a resident of NSW.

Before you apply for a single status certificate, check with the consulate, embassy or local representative of the country in which you wish to marry to understand their legal requirements.

You may be required to get your single status certificate authenticated by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

You must provide a least 3 forms of current identity, one of each from Categories 1, 2 and 3.

  • If you cannot provide proof of identity from Categories 1 and 2, you must still provide at least 3 forms of identity. At least two of these must be from Category 3.
  • If cannot meet these requirements, please contact us for further advice.




​If born in Australia:

  • An Australian birth certificate

Record of immigration status:

  • Citizenship certificate
  • New Zealand citizenship certificate together with passport
  • New Zealand birth certificate


  • ​Australia's driver's licence
  • Australian passport
  • Firearms licence
  • Foreign passport
  • Proof of age card


  • ​Medicare card
  • Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs card
  • Security/Crowd control licence
  • Tertiary education institution ID card


  • ​Recent utility account with current residential address (issued within last 3 months)

The fee depends on the period of search carried out to confirm your single status:

  • if you have never previously married, the single status search will start from the date you turned 16 to the present date

  • if you arrived in Australia after the age of 16, the search will start from your date of arrival

  • if you have previously married and divorced, the search will start from the date of divorce. 

Period of Search 

Standard service

Priority service

1–10 years 



11–20 years 



21–30 years 



All prices include postage & handling. Add $9 for international post.

Processing begins when we have received your complete and correct application:  

  • Certificates are delivered by registered post and we have allowed a week for this in the times below. Estimated times may vary slightly.
  • Australia Post advises customers to anticipate delays with International post.

Request for a Single Status certificate



Submitted by post 

up to 7 weeks

up to 2 weeks

Registry agent (Service NSW) 

up to 5 weeks

up to 2 weeks

Complete a Single status certificate application (PDF, 426.59 KB) form.

Then post your completed form (see form for address) and proof of identity to Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages or visit your nearest Service NSW centre.

Important information: counter closure

  • Use our online services to register a birth, a change of name or relationship, or to apply for certificates, and we will post these out to you.
  • All over-the-counter services are provided by your nearest Service NSW service centre.
  • Make sure you’ve received a confirmation email from us before visiting the Chippendale or Parramatta registry offices to collect anything.
Top of page