Dump trucks need to be conditionally registered to be used on public roads and road-related areas.
Conditional registration gives you limited road access to perform specific functions.
You cannot get conditional registration if a vehicle that complies with the construction and equipment requirements of the Australian Design Rules can be used to perform the same function.
See information about vehicle standards to see what standards apply.
Find out how to apply for conditional registration for a dump truck.
Oversize vehicle operators
Vehicles that go beyond the dimension and weight limits must comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. To find out the conditions for:
- NSW permits – contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371
- interstate permits – contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487.
Dump trucks must meet all the following vehicle conditions to apply for conditional registration:
- Rigid/articulated off-road dump trucks must be within Transport for NSW's approval for length (12.5m), width (2.5m), height (4.3m) and weight limits.
- Vehicles that have a compliance plate or built on a truck-based chassis are not eligible for conditional registration and are subject to full registration and national heavy vehicle charges.
Conditions of use
The following minimum conditions apply to conditional registration.
|Daylight / floodlit worksite use only
Note: Does not apply if vehicle if fitted with 24 hour use equipment requirements above
|Flashing amber beacon required and used when vehicle moving.||SL1|
|Speed limited to 40km/h||SP40|
|Vehicle to be floated from site to site (except that it can travel in areas designated in LO5)||LO99|
|Use only within a defined construction zone where a traffic control plan applies||LO5|
|Not to be operated on a sealed road if carrying any load||Free text|
|Steering failure warning device, warning label and Maximum Speed Advisory sign required
Note: Only applies to vehicles with hydraulic steering.
|‘Left-hand drive’ sign required
Note: Only applies to vehicles with left-hand steering fitted
To receive conditional registration you must ensure that the following equipment requirements are met.
|Equipment||Daylight/floodlit use||24 hour use|
|Amber rotating beacon||Yes||Yes|
|Brake and turn lights||Yes||Yes|
|Headlights, tail, number plate lights and clearance lights||No||Yes|
|Rear reflectors or rear reflective tape||Yes||Yes|
|Side reflectors or side reflective tape||No||Yes|
|Rear vision mirror(s)||Yes||Yes|
All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of:
- Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2017 for light vehicles, or
- Heavy Vehicle (Vehicle Standards) National Regulation (NSW).
Transport for NSW office use
|Compulsory Third Party insurance class||
Conditional registration - PLNT
Unregistered Vehicle Permit - UPLN
|Registration usage||Not applicable|