Create NSW is the NSW Government’s arts and cultural driver. We provide funding and support to the sector.
The Arts and Cultural Funding Program is one of our main funding programs.
To search and apply for grants and other funding available under this program, visit
How the program grows and supports the arts in NSW
The Arts and Cultural Funding Program:
- covers a range of artforms
- aims to support innovation, vibrancy and creativity within the sector.
Its three main objectives are to:
- deliver dynamic and diverse arts and cultural experiences to NSW communities.
- help develop a vibrant and accessible arts and cultural sector
- support the careers and skills of NSW-based artists and arts/cultural workers (including museum workers).
Read more in Year in Review 2021/22
Types of funding
The program has different funding categories and funding types.
Funding types include grants, internships and fellowships.
Funding categories include:
- Small Project Grants: Quick response grants from $500 to $5,000. They provide professional development opportunities for artists and cultural workers. They help people to create, develop and present new work.
- Projects Funding: This supports innovation, vibrancy and creativity in the sector. It's open to individuals, groups and organisations. For projects delivering arts and cultural outcomes for people in NSW.
- Creative Koori Projects Funding: This is open to Aboriginal artists, arts and cultural workers, groups, and organisations. For projects that celebrate and promote Aboriginal arts and culture in NSW.
- Annual Program Funding: Funding on an annual basis that supports arts and cultural organisations (including local government and service organisations) to deliver arts and cultural activities.
- Multi-year Funding: This supports delivery, development and presentation of arts and cultural activities over a 4-year period by arts and cultural organisations and local authorities.
- Regional Arts Touring: This helps provide access to arts and culture for regional audiences. Funding is available for tours of performing arts, music, visual arts, literature, history, museums and multi-arts and other artforms.
- Createability Internship: The internship provides opportunities for artists and practitioners with disability or who are d/Deaf to develop meaningful careers in the arts, screen, and culture sectors.
- NSW Design (Early Career) Fellowship: This supports three early career designers or makers to carry out six months of professional development.
- Visual Arts (Emerging) Fellowship: This supports visual arts practitioners in their early career to challenge and expand their practice.
- SoundLab Residency: A partnership with Arup SoundLab - offering four artists a state-of-the-art professional development opportunity in the Arup SoundLab facility.
They are just some examples of funding under the program. For more examples, see Grants and Funding finder
The funding program supports a range of activities to help grow and support the arts in both metro and regional NSW. This includes:
- Aboriginal Artist’s creation of new arts and cultural work, practice-based research, or experimentation.
- Workshops, events and activities encouraging access and participation in arts and culture for diverse communities.
- New work, professional development and touring opportunities for artists and arts workers across various artforms and disciplines.
Some examples from recent years include:
- NSW singer-songwriter's career development and album launch
- Theatre project exploring the experiences of women drivers in Australia
- Statewide music or cultural festival
- Digital installation showing local Aboriginal community history
- Culture and wellbeing camp for Aboriginal young people
- Community celebration event
- Series of online workshops.
See our News and stories page for recent examples.
To get an idea of previous recipients of grants and funding, check inside each listing in the Grants and funding finder.
Who can apply (eligibility)
Are you an artist, arts and cultural organisation, arts or cultural worker seeking funding for your project?
You may be eligible to apply for funding under the Arts and Culture Funding Program.
Search and apply online through our Grants and funding finder.
You will need to open each funding page to check for eligibility and guidelines.
How to apply and learn more
- See the Grants and funding finder to apply, and view previous recipients
- For help to get started see Get support and funding
- Sign up to the newsletter
- Visit News and stories to read inspiring stories about successful recipients of Arts and Cultural Funding Program funding.
Image above right banner: Eddie Abd, Silk cuts, 2022. Photo: Tim Connolly