Allied Health careers
We employ professionals across the following allied health services, including:
- Allied Health Assistants
- Nutrition and Dietetics
- Occupational and Diversional Therapy
- Social Work and Welfare Services
- Palliative Care
- Speech Pathology and Audiology.
Why Western NSW
Working at Western NSW LHD in Allied Health, makes for a rewarding fast tracked career.
We are a network of over 500 Allied Health professionals who work together to bring the best care and fulfilling careers. From large referral hospitals to remote multipurpose sites you’ll work both on your own and together in multidisciplinary teams, receiving training, upskilling and a range of other professional development opportunities.
With the support of more senior team members, you'll be exposed to and treat a broader range of cases, often more advanced than those in the metro areas. Our communities appreciate your work and your skill level will surpass your city-based peers.
A great place to live and work
Our region is so diverse, there's something for everyone. You can create a lifestyle where you live your best life, focusing on the things that really matter to you.
Learn about the Western NSW region and unique lifestyle.
Our District leads in the delivery of virtual care (telehealth), so people can receive the highest quality care close to home. In partnership with the NSW Agency for Clinical Innovation we piloted the delivery of Allied Health by virtual care and now offer ongoing virtual care in the professions of:
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech Pathology
- Social Work.
Learn more about our Allied Health Services
Leading the way in Allied Health innovation
Pharmacist Brett Chambers has pioneered the Virtual Clinical Pharmacy Service in NSW, helping patients, doctors and nursing staff to safely use medications at their hospital when a pharmacist is not on-site.
Rural HECS-HELP incentive package
Western NSW Local Health District also has Allied Health positions that qualify for the NSW Government’s Rural HECS-HELP incentive package, where in qualified positions you can:
- reduce your HECS debt by an increasing amount each year (up to $20K),
- have an additional five days annual leave and
- 6 days leave for professional development.
Before you accept the position, you can also fly out to the location to check it out to see if it's for you.
For more information, download the NSW Health Allied Health Rural HECS-HELP Incentive Package - Factsheet for Applicants (PDF 76.25KB)
Allied Health Rural Graduate Program
Recruitment for the Allied Health Rural Graduate Program (AHRGP) starts in November of each year.
We are committed to growing our Allied Health workforce in a workplace where staff and others feel valued and can excel.
The AHRGP provides an experience-based learning opportunity which offers:
- A positive transition to professional practice with access to workplace learning and supported clinical and professional competency-based skill development.
- Opportunity to collaborate with dynamic, highly professional multidisciplinary teams.
- Mentoring in quality improvements and research.
- Experience in a broad range of services, including acute care, community services, speciality services, rural outreach, and rural generalist skills including telehealth.
- Scholarship funding for conferences / workshops.
- The opportunity to rotate at least 4 times to gain a broad experience in different clinical areas and settings including rural communities.
- Journal club professional development, discipline specific in-services as well as multidisciplinary education sessions.
- A combination of formal education and work-based experience, including:
- Comprehensive workplace education and professional development opportunities
- Interdisciplinary training days
- Discipline specific supervision and support to meet clinical competencies
- Opportunity to participate in continuous quality improvement projects relevant to new graduates.
Who should apply?
Allied health disciplines who have recently graduated or are graduating in Occupational Therapy, Social Work, Dietetics, Speech Pathology and Physiotherapy.
AHRG positions are completed over a 24 month period full time with four rotations.
If selected and you live outside of your AHRGP location – to get you started and settled in to your new base, we are offering you 6 weeks accommodation.
How to apply
Applications will open in November 2023.
Explore our current Allied Health vacancies in Western NSW.
Search health careers
Contact Western NSW LHD Recruitment
Express your interest in working in Western NSW.