nsw.gov.au initiatives helping the people of NSW save money
Finding a way to cut costs and access financial support has become easier with the Cost of Living hub, Home Buyer Assistance Finder, Seniors Card and Companion Card pages on nsw.gov.au.
A number of new initiatives are providing much needed cost savings for the people of NSW. The Cost of Living hub,Home Buyer Assistance Finder, Seniors Card and Companion Card pages on nsw.gov.au are connecting people with tailored support to cut costs, find great offers and access financial assistance.
These initiatives are now available on nsw.gov.au and align with the vision of the OneCX Program. The program is building nsw.gov.au as the single location for citizens to find information, complete a task or provide feedback. We are migrating content from agencies across NSW Government and designing content based on community needs and behaviour. This approach is delivering a better digital experience to the people of NSW.
Cost of Living hub
The OneCX Program and Life Journeys teams collaborated to create the new Cost of Living hub on nsw.gov.au. The hub content is tailored to provide easy access for the people of NSW so they can find the support that meets their individual circumstances.
Visitors will be able to access information from more than 80 government and not-for-profit websites all in one place. The hub focuses on seven key areas, covering everyday essentials including:
1. Food and groceries - ways to save on your weekly food bill and reduce food waste.
2. Housing - NSW Government home-buyer incentives, managing rent increases and mortgage help.
3. Energy and utilities - checking eligibility for energy bill relief and gas rebates, reducing power usage to decrease your bills, requesting a payment plan and seeking emergency assistance.
4. Managing money - accessing support and advice if you're experiencing financial hardship, avoiding scams and using a tool to more effectively manage your budget.
5. Health - reviewing your private health cover to find a policy that’s right for you and understanding safety nets to access cheaper medicine.
6. Families and care - eligibility for the childcare subsidy, finding children's education and care services to support working parents, and affordable help around the home for seniors and older Australians.
7. Transport, driving and fuel - tips for finding cheaper fuel, cost-saving driving techniques, transport alternatives and tips for choosing insurance.
Home Buyer Assistance Finder
The Home Buyer Assistance Finder is making it easier for house hunters to check if they are eligible for the 3 NSW Government programs that assist home buyers.
The finder was developed by the OneCX Program team in collaboration with the Customer Experience Unit for Revenue NSW, in response to citizens finding home-buying support confusing.
NSW citizens can now get an indication of what programs they may be eligible for without having to read through complex eligibility criteria. Instead, users are asked a maximum of 15 questions that cover:
the property they want to buy
who they want to buy it with
what other property they own
when they want to move in
how much they want to spend.
Once all questions are answered, the tool guides users on which home-buying program they should explore further.
Likewise, if a factor such as age, citizenship or home ownership history makes someone ineligible, the tool lets them know straight away, saving that person the inconvenience of having to do any further research.
Since its 14 July launch, over 38,000 people have determined that they may be eligible for assistance, via the Home Buyer Assistance Finder.
The NSW Seniors Card and Senior Savers Card are for NSW permanent residents over the age of 60 to receive discounted products and services. As part of the content migration to nsw.gov.au, Seniors Card content is easily navigated, accessible and customer focused.
The map search tool makes it easy to find great offers nearby. Seniors can search by business name, postcode, suburb or category to find savings. They can also download the 2023 discount directory to discover special offers from thousands of participating businesses across five NSW regions.
The NSW Companion Card program is for people with significant and permanent disability who need a high level of care in the community. The Companion Card allows a cardholder's support person free entry into participating venues and events. Citizens can check their eligibility for a card on nsw.gov.au. They can search by keyword, postcode, category or region to find over 1000 affiliated businesses committed to promoting inclusion for people with disability.
The OneCX Program team looks forward to continued collaboration with agencies across government to meet the needs of the people of NSW on nsw.gov.au. Visit the website to find out more.