Enrol your child in high school

Once you've decided on a high school, you’ll need to enrol your child. You should only enrol in one school at any given time.

Expression of interest

Before enrolling, you’ll need to complete an expression of interest form (PDF 980KB). This is generally done in March the year before your child starts high school.

You’ll be able to indicate on this form if you want your child to attend their local school or if you’re seeking other placements, such as a specialist or non-local school.

You can list up to 3 schools in order of preference. There may be extra application requirements for placements outside your local school. The school can let you know what these are.

For year 7 enrolments at a public school, submit the expression of interest form:

  • to your current NSW public primary school, or
  • directly to your chosen high school, if your child isn’t currently enrolled in a NSW public primary school

Check key dates for applying to a selective high school at the NSW Department of Education.

Application to enrol

Once your child has been offered a place, you’ll be sent an enrolment application form in term 2 or 3, which must be completed in English and returned to the school. 

If you need help with English:

  • the enrolment application form instructions are translated into many languages
  • you can call the Telephone Interpreter Service on 131 450 and ask for an interpreter in your language

Supporting documents you'll need for enrolment

You’ll need to show the school the following original documents with the completed enrolment application form:

If you're a visa holder

Temporary visa holders may also need to provide:

  • your child's passport or travel documents
  • your child's current and previous visa (if applicable)
  • authority to enrol issued by the Temporary Residents Program
  • authority to enrol or evidence of permission to transfer issued by DE International (for international students)
  • evidence of the visa your child has applied for (if they hold a bridging visa)