Registering a special mobility vehicle

Special mobility vehicles (SMV) that go faster than 10km/h must be registered before they can be driven on the road.

On this page

What is a special mobility vehicle?

A three-wheeled special mobility vehicle (SMV), such as a Nippi, is a vehicle that a person with disability can operate from their wheelchair.

You must be able to fasten the seatbelt and drive at normal traffic speeds on roads and road-related areas while remaining seated in the wheelchair

SMVs must be registered and riders must be licensed.


Special mobility vehicle


A special mobility vehicle

How to register a special mobility vehicle


Get an inspection

Take your SMV to get a safety inspection at an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station (AUVIS). If the vehicle is modified or non-standard, you may need a Compliance Certificate from a licensed certifier.


    Get compulsory third party (CTP) insurance

    You can compare quotes online for compulsory third party (CTP) insurance.

    After you've bought insurance, most insurance providers send us your policy details electronically.


      Visit a service centre

      When your vehicle has passed the AUVIS inspection and you have CTP insurance, visit a service centre to provide:

        Renewing your registration

        Renewal notices are sent out by mail a few weeks before your registration expires. When you get the renewal notice you can renew your registration online or in person at a service centre.

        If your SMV is less than 5 years old, you may not need a safety inspection. See safety checks and vehicle inspections.

        To renew you must have:

        Top of page