Construction training - NSW JobTrainer
Are you an employer in the construction industry? Learn about fee-free* skills training for eligible students, workers and jobseekers in NSW.
What it does
Our construction training for NSW JobTrainer supports 25,000 part qualification training places in the construction industry.
This is critical for building skills for future NSW infrastructure projects. It will also support construction contractors to achieve training targets for the Infrastructure Skills Legacy Program
The initiative is managed by Training Services NSW. We handle vocational education and training in NSW.
The NSW and Australian governments are funding $24 million worth of fee-free* training under this program.
Benefits to employers include
Eligible staff gain a qualification
Training meets your specific needs
Improved productivity and staff performance
Creates a better working environment through your investment in staff skills development
Less supervision required as your eligible staff are more skilled.
Existing workers in construction
Training for existing workers in construction will be industry led.
It should lead to sustainable employment outcomes and meet these targeted priority projects:
- NSW Government and Infrastructure Skills Legacy projects
- Commonwealth Government projects
- Local Government Infrastructure projects
- Regional and Metropolitan projects.
What projects and courses it covers
The initiative covers local, state and Australian Government infrastructure projects.
It includes commercial, civil and residential construction.
It includes short courses tailored for all areas of building and construction including:
- civil construction
- construction maintenance
- general, residential and commercial building
- demolition and asbestos removal
- the construction supply chain including pre-manufacturing and fabrication, and transport and logistics
- traffic control and the suite of traffic units
- using explosive power tools
- plant operator training
- soft skill training including workplace communication, measuring and calculating, supervising and project management.
Find construction courses
SafeWork NSW - high risk licence training
SafeWork NSW has approved certain providers to deliver high risk licence training.
See SafeWork NSW approved Smart and Skilled providers to find training near you.
Get training started
First, work out what type of training your staff need.
- Assess training and upskilling needs of eligible staff
- Work with eligible staff to identify their needs. For example, do they need specialist or technical training, communication and leadership skills?
- Find courses that meet your workforce planning needs (see above).
Next, ask your Smart and Skilled approved training provider or local skills broker to help you connect with an approved training provider.
Work with the provider to schedule staff training.
Find out more
- NSW JobTrainer - Construction flyer
- NSW JobTrainer - Existing Workers in Construction flyer
- NSW JobTrainer - Built For Women flyer
- your local Training Services NSW office on 13 28 11
- NSW JobTrainer – Construction team at SFR-Construction@det.nsw.edu.au
- your local Smart and Skilled approved training provider - Search at Skills NSW
Also see our JobTrainer at Smart and Skilled pages
*Training is fully funded by the NSW and Australian governments