Boating safety resources
Safety information and publications, including the Boating Handbook. Available for free download – or to order as free printed copies.
Download or order resources
These materials are available to download as PDFs. You can also choose to download eBook versions for the Boating Handbook, Personal Watercraft (PWC) Handbook and NSW Tide Tables.
For free printed copies of these materials, call 13 12 36 or visit a service centre.
Some documents on this page may not comply with accessibility requirements (WCAG). If you are having trouble accessing information in these documents, please contact us.
Boat and PWC handbooks
Lifejackets and safety equipment
Be prepared - boating safety
- Paddle safe brochure (PDF 237.4KB)
- Paddle safety on Sydney Harbour map (PDF 430.97KB)
- Be bright - be safe at night (PDF, 1.15 MB)
- Coastal bar safety (PDF, 1.58 MB)
- Water safety – marine safety activity book (PDF, 2.69 MB)
- What to know before you tow (PDF, 221.78 KB)
- Get to know your interstate boating rules - New South Wales and Queensland (PDF 421.43KB)
- Get to know your interstate boating rules New South Wales and Victoria (PDF, 1.56 MB)
- Onboard fuel brochure (PDF 1.89MB)
Out on the water - conditions and marine life
- NSW Tides - NSW tide tables are available to download in both PDF and EPUB3 (eBook) format.
Safety stickers and labels
- Paddle safe sticker (PDF 88.9KB)
- Safety capacity label - power boats under 6m (PDF, 75.79 KB)
- Safety capacity label - power boats 6m or more (PDF, 90.27 KB)
- Safety capacity label - power boats with flybridges (PDF, 107.4 KB)
- Safe boating buoyage system (PDF 108.92KB)
- Safe boating navigation marks (PDF 113.48KB)
- Safe boating navigation rules (PDF 163.71KB)
- Discharge of garbage sticker (PDF 72.56KB)
- Expiry date awareness sticker (PDF 53.17KB)
- Keep safe, stay right (PDF 56.52KB)
- Lifejackets sticker (PDF, 18.03 KB)
- PWC Behaviour Label (PDF, 109.23 KB)
- Row Safe sticker (PDF, 76.09 KB)
- Prop strike sticker (PDF 55.87KB)
- Towing hand signals (PDF, 102.33 KB)
- Whale and dolphin watching sticker (PDF 54.33KB)
- Boat driving licence practical logbook (PDF, 796.27 KB)
- Commercial mooring licence standard condition (PDF, 223.83 KB
- Private mooring licence conditions (PDF, 131.52 KB)
- Change of Records - Maritime Products Only (PDF 904.92KB) - Changes to address, name, vessel, engine, concession or medical condition
- Application for a Personal Watercraft (PWC) photo licence (PDF 105.29KB) (first see Get boat or PWC licence)
- Application for replacement products (PDF 282.17KB) – apply for a replacement licence or registration certificate
- Application to Personalise an Existing Vessel Registration (PDF 1.4MB)
- Application for Maritime Replacement Products (PDF 282.17KB)
- Application for vessel registration (PDF 191.84KB)
- Application for Transfer of Vessel Registration (PDF 245.94KB)
- Adjustment of Records (PDF 904.92KB)
- Consignment notice for sale of a vessel (PDF 830.57KB)
- Statutory declaration vessel registration (PDF 188.2KB)
- Request for refund (PDF 898.64KB)
Safety education for schools and community groups
Our boating education officers (BEOs) work closely with community to provide advice and safety resources. Learn more about our education programs and get in touch with your local boating education officer.
It’s essential that kids understand the importance of boating safety. Our Marine safety activity book is a useful resource to help kids safely enjoy our waterways. You can download a free copy. Or if you're in NSW, you can request delivery of a free printed copy.
Boating safety mobile apps
Boating apps give you quick access to helpful information about waterways on your smartphone or tablet.
This app connects boaters directly to Marine Rescue NSW, the State's official volunteer marine rescue service. Boaters can log onto the app to share their plans before setting out so that a search can be quickly started if they don't return when expected.
To find out more, visit MarineRescue App.
Download the free app from the Apple Store or Google Play.
The app includes a tracking option which automatically updates every 30 minutes as well as a range of safety tools and information.
Transport for NSW endorses Deckee. The app is available for free via the Apple Store and Google Play.
What's on the Deckee app?
The Deckee app includes maps showing boat ramps, speed zones and navigational aids. The app has access to a live data feed from Transport for NSW that captures alerts, marine notices and campaigns. The app also shows the current ‘Feels like’ temperature alongside the current actual temperature so you can always be prepared.
Shown below are some of Deckee’s other useful features:
- Share your location.
- See tips and photos of fishing spots and anchorages from other boaters.
- Access quotes for boat insurance.
- Read business reviews and connect with local service providers.
- Track Automatic Identification Systems (AIS) vessel movements. AIS is a very high frequency (VHF) radio communication system. It enables vessels, shore-based stations and distress equipment to exchange information including ship position, course and speed.
Marine Rescue NSW
Marine Rescue NSW is the state’s official volunteer marine rescue service. The MarineRescue App allows you to register details of your next boating trip.
Stay safe and informed on the water. Get official alerts and information from maritime authorities. Explore crowdsourced reports from the boating community. Check the weather conditions and forecasts near you.
Test your knowledge
Take a quick quiz to see how well you know the rules for staying safe on our waterways. There's a quiz for general boating and a quiz for operating a personal watercraft.