Planning for the future
See the range of advice, topics and resources to help you find the right information to plan your future and long-term financial wellbeing.
Life stages and events
Find information, support and guidance to help make financial decisions that are right for you.
- Life events—Information and support that outlines your options, entitlements and obligations to help you manage life's major events with ease and confidence.
- Starting and growing a family—A guide to help start or grow a family with information on services and support for those who are having a baby, parenting young children, or wanting to adopt a foster child.
- Register a birth—Information on how to register a birth and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander births.
- Schooling—A guide to help children starting public primary or high school, including information on selecting a school, enrolments, financial support and other services.
- Jobs and career—Information on returning to work, getting your first job, changing careers or advice and support if you lose your job.
- Students and job seekers—Vocational training is a great way to learn new skills and get paid experience in many different jobs.
- Vocational education and training—VET gives people workplace skills and technical knowledge. It emphasises hands-on experience and teaches many skills in demand in NSW.
- Careers NSW Skills Hub—Free phone service providing personalised advice about skills and training - to help you upgrade your skills and training so you are more employable.
- Living in NSW—A guide for people living in NSW and are renting, buying or renovating a property, want to find somewhere new to live, or who need emergency accommodation.
- Serious illness and injury—A guide for people who have a serious injury or chronic illness with information on support services, financial help for living and medical expenses, your rights and responsibilities at work, emotional support and more.
- Relationships and money—Know your financial and legal responsibilities and where to get help if you need it.
- Getting divorced or separating—How to sort out your finances when you separate or break up.
- Financial Information Service—A free service that can inform and educate you about financial matters.
- End abusive relationship: Stay in your home—Find out what you can do, helpful services and resources to end an abusive relationship but stay in your home.
Support to start a business
- Business Concierge—The Business Concierge service gives free, personalised guidance to help women business owners at every stage of the business journey.
- Business Connect—Get independent business advice, practical insights and business skills training on a range of topics for your small business.
- Business Resources—Resources to support women in business.
- NSW Small Business Commission—The NSW Small Business Commissioner offers a cost-effective and confidential mediation service to help solve business or commercial disputes such as lease, licence or contract disagreements.
- Service NSW Business Profile—Your Service NSW Business Profile can help you manage your applications for business licences, grants, vouchers and more.
- Workplace health and safety—The basics for getting started on making your workplace safe.
- Business Planning—Business structures/types, business plans, intellectual property, industry information, and a step by step guide to starting a business.
- Support for businesses—Support options and government requirements to start or grow a business in NSW.
- Business Toolkit for Indigenous Women—Aims to inform and inspire Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women in their aspirations to be successful businesswomen.
- Council help for home businesses—Information on requirements, where to go for support, and a helpful guide for getting started.
- Business and trade licences—Information to help you run your business and be a licensed tradesperson.
Training and networking
- Women in Business—Women in Business is a NSW Government and TAFE NSW initiative that offers a fully subsidised* online program for women who are looking to establish a micro business, a small business, or who are already operating a business.
- Networking and Mentoring—Networking and mentoring support for women in business.
- Support for Women in Business—Helps women start, run and grow their business, with access to available funding, education, networks, programs and services they need to succeed.
Grants and funding
- Planning your retirement—A guide for people in NSW who are planning to retire. It can help you manage your money, decide where to live and find support services.
- Retirement years—Help and payments for when you retire. Information about planning for retirement. What to do if you decide to keep working past Age Pension age.
- Guide to decision-making when someone dies—Here is a guide that can help you make decisions when someone dies.
- Funeral assistance for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people—Find out about funeral assistance for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Call 1800 647 487.
- Life Insurance Calculator — Estimate how much you might need.
Investing in your financial future
Learn more about how superannuation works including Self-Managed Super Funds (SMSF) and what you can do now.
- Investor journey—Your investment journey can start at any time. Build your knowledge with the Investor Journey Toolkit.
- First time investors—First time investors can get started on their investing journey today with free resources.
- ASX Sharemarket Game—Play the share market game to learn more about shares.
- Superannuation Calculator—Find out your estimated super balance at retirement.
- How super works—Find out how super works, including Self-Managed Super Funds (SMSFs) and finding lost super, and what you can do now.
- Super Guru—Independent information on how to understand and grow your superannuation.
- Insurance through super—A financial safety net through your super.
- Australian Taxation Office information on super—Find reliable information on super and tax, including how to find your lost super.
Explore the Women’s Financial Toolkit
Explore a range of resources to help plan everyday spending, savings tips and advice, and ways improve your present and future financial wellbeing.