Understanding your options
The type of early childhood education and childcare you choose will depend on your family’s needs. Understand the different types of care available.
Understanding the range of early childhood education and care options can help you choose the right service for your family.
Common types of services include:
- child care centre or long day care – all day or part day care
- family day care – provided in a carer's home
- community preschool – planned education program before starting primary school
- government preschool – available in public schools the year before starting kindergarten
- occasional care – casual or regular care for short periods of time
- in home care – in your home by an approved carer when standard child care is not suitable.
Learn more about the different types of early childhood education and care at the NSW Department of Education.
Playgroups are regular social gatherings where:
- children can build social skills and learn through play, and
- parents and carers can meet and share their experience.
Find a playgroup in your local area at Playgroup NSW.