Mental health and emotional support
Raising children can be emotionally challenging at times. Find support services for parents and children, as well as help to maintain your relationships.
Where to get help
It’s common to feel a range of different emotions when dealing with the challenges of having and raising a child, including:
- a loss of identity.
It’s important to get support if those feelings don’t go away on their own.
Beyond Blue offers emotional health and wellbeing resources for new parents and carers. You can also call their helpline on 1300 22 46 36 for 24-hour support.
You can get more information and support at:
- PANDA helpline on 1300 726 306 for confidential support and counselling
- COPE for help with emotional and mental health problems for new parents
- Mensline Australia on 1300 78 99 78 for 24-hour professional counselling and support for men for family and relationship issues
- Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 for 24-hour confidential counselling for young people aged 5 to 25, as well as information and resources for parents and carers
- Transcultural Mental Health Centre provides translated mental health resources in over 40 languages.
Having and raising a young child can put pressure on your relationship with your partner and family. You can find information, resources and services at:
- Raising Children Network for information on developing and maintaining healthy relationships for parents and partners
- Relationships Australia NSW or call 1300 364 277 for relationship services, including counselling and education programs
- Stepfamilies Australia for information, support and education for step and blended families.