If you need emergency accommodation

This is a guide for people at risk of becoming, or are, homeless, as well as options for people needing temporary crisis accommodation during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.


If you're homeless or at risk of losing your home

The Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ) provides:

The DCJ also:

  • helps existing clients of homelessness services with private rental options
  • supports rough sleepers and outreach programs for vulnerable tenants
  • finds temporary accommodation if you have to self-isolate

Ask Izzy

Ask Izzy is an online search tool that helps people find shelter, food, health and other critical support services. It is free and anonymous.

Through answering a few simple questions online, Ask Izzy can find the most suitable specialist homeless service in your area. Answers are private and no personal information is collected.

Most of the homeless shelters offered provide meals and low-cost board. Some shelters have staff available 24 hours a day.

Specialist housing support services

See the topic Finding somewhere new to live for more details covering:

  • if you're moving house
  • buying a home 
  • Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people
  • community and affordable housing options

If you're a tenant facing eviction, see the topic If you rent a home and are financially affected by coronavirus for more information.


If you're experiencing family or domestic violence

Start Safely

The Department of Communities and Justice operates a housing rental assistance service called Start Safely.

It is for people who do not have a stable and secure place to live due to domestic or family violence. Start Safely can be used to: 

  • help find a safe and affordable place to rent  
  • pay some of your rent for up to 3 years  
  • assist with education and employment options

You can find additional services and advice on what to do next, including support for housing relief, at:


Help provided by charities and other organisations

There are multiple agencies and charities that offer emergency housing and accommodation services for people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.

Salvation Army

The Salvation Army can help find you a place to sleep, eat, shower, as well as provide access to support services. Their options include:

  • emergency and crisis accommodation
  • temporary or transitional accommodation or lodgings
  • long-term accommodation or community housing

Learn more about housing and homelessness support at the Salvation Army.

Australian Red Cross

Through caseworkers, the Red Cross operates a range of housing and food programs for specific groups, including: 

  • the elderly
  • youth at risk of sleeping rough
  • people experiencing mental health issues 
  • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people

Wesley Mission

The Wesley Mission is a faith-based organisation providing a range of support services to families, children and the elderly, and particularly those struggling with homelessness.

Learn more about the Wesley Mission's:

Uniting Care 

Uniting Care is a faith-based organisation providing secure and safe housing. Its homelessness and crisis accommodation services are location-based, and include:


Dignity is a not-for-profit that offers emergency guest accommodation and other housing services to people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. You can learn more about Dignity or call them on 1300 332 334.

Dignity also provides lifestyle support programs, including:

  • a food relief service that stocks the kitchens of those at risk of homelessness, as well as provide home-cooked meals
  • new and replacement clothing through its partner, Thread Together

Foodbank and emergency relief packages

If you've been directed to self-isolate, and have no family or friends able to help, the Office of Emergency Management and Foodbank are coordinating the supply of emergency relief packages.

The parcels contain 2 weeks of food and personal care items, including:

  • pasta and long life milk
  • canned vegetables
  • toilet paper

If you, or someone you know is in need, call 13 77 88.


Get mental health support

Looking after your mental health is as important as looking after your physical wellbeing. If the impact of coronavirus is placing pressure on your income, family or relationships, there is a wide range of services you can reach out to.

Top of page