Relationship register

Couples who are not married can apply to register a relationship in NSW. The relationships register provides legal recognition for a couple.

Registry offices closed

The fastest and easiest way to apply for your certificate is online and it will be sent by registered mail to your home with an optional priority service.

Alternatively, contact us or visit your nearest Service NSW service centre.

On this page

How to apply

Read the information below before you register a relationship.

Important: Do not laminate your certificates. Identity documents must be kept in their original state to be accepted by Government agencies.

Why register your relationship

  • Registered relationships are recognised as 'de facto' in NSW. Couples in registered relationships are subject to certain obligations and/or restrictions under NSW law.
  • Registered relationship certificates are used to access entitlements, services and records under legislation.
  • In situations outside of legislation, service providers may choose to accept registration of a relationship as proof of legitimacy of that relationship.
Who can apply

Adults who are in a relationship as a couple can apply for registration of their relationship provided at least one of them lives in NSW.

A couple does not have to live together to be eligible to register their relationship.

To apply to register your relationship in NSW both partners must be:

  • over 18 years of age
  • not married to each other or anyone else
  • not already in a registered relationship under this Act or in another state or territory in Australia
  • not in a relationship with another person
  • not related by family
How to apply

You can apply online.

Apply by post or in person

Download an Application to register a relationship form (PDF 909.82KB).

  • Print and complete the form
  • Post your completed certificate application (see form for address) and proof of identity to the Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages or visit your nearest Service NSW centre.
  • You can order a commemorative certificate design along with the standard relationship certificate.

Replacement certificate

If you have registered your relationship and need a replacement certificate and/or a commemorative certificate, download the Relationship certificate application form (PDF 699.56KB).

Then post your completed form (see form for address) and proof of identity to the Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages or visit your nearest Service NSW centre.

Important: In all cases, your identity documents must be originals. Copies, certified copies and laminated documents are not acceptable.

Proof of identity

You must provide 3 forms of identification, one of each from Categories 1, 2 and 3.

  • If you cannot provide proof of identity from Category 1, you must still provide at least 3 forms of identification. At least one of these must be from Category 2, and two from Category 3.
  • If you cannot meet these requirements, please contact us for further advice.




  • Australian birth certificate
  • Australian Citizenship certificate
  • New Zealand citizenship certificate
  • ImmiCard
  • Certificate of Registration by Descent


  • ​Australian driver's licence
  • Australian passport
  • Firearms licence
  • Foreign passport
  • Proof of age card or photo card issued by an Australian State or Territory


  • ​Medicare card
  • Private health care card 
  • Centrelink pensioner concession card or other entitlement card
  • Australian Department of Veterans Affairs card
  • Security licence
  • Student or tertiary education ID card


  • Council rates notice (issued in last 12 months)
  • Recent utility account bill (electricity, water or gas) with current residential address (issued within last 3 months)
  • Lease agreement 



​Relationship registration (includes 1 standard certificate)*


​Revocation of relationship (if required)


​​Standard (relationship or revocation) certificate


​​Commemorative package (1 standard and 1 commemorative certificate)


​​​Commemorative certificate on its own


Relationship ceremony package fee (includes registration, certificate and ceremony)


*Add $41 if you require a letter of confirmation for lodgement of the application.

All prices include postage & handling. Add $9 for international post.

Relationship ceremonies

Why not celebrate the registration of your relationship with a special ceremony at a Registry venue?

Ceremony fees

The $407 package fee includes the registration fee ($223 including standard certificate), ceremony and issue of a ceremonial certificate on the day ($184).

Ceremony venues


Number of guests


Total fee

Parramatta Registry Office

Up to 24

Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm


Chippendale Registry Office

Up to 12

Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm


Withdrawing an application

There is no fee for withdrawing:

  • a relationship registration, within the 28-day cooling-off period
  • a relationship revocation, within the 90-day cooling-off period.

The fee for the application to register a relationship is non-refundable. 

Withdraw an application to revoke a registered relationship. (PDF 697.17KB)

Post your completed form (see form for address) and proof of identity to Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages or visit your nearest Service NSW centre.

Ending a registered relationship
  • A fee applies to revoke a registered relationship. Either or both persons can apply.
  • If only one person revokes a registration, they must provide proof they've served notice on the other. The Registrar has the discretion to dispense the notice requirement if the person cannot serve notice.
  • A cooling-off period of 90 days applies before the registration is revoked by the Registrar. 
  • If either person requires a copy of the relationship certificate showing the revocation details, a standard certificate fee of $60 applies.

Relationship certificate application (PDF 699.56KB)

Revoke a registered relationship application (PDF 2.75MB)

Post your completed form (see form for address) and proof of identity to the Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages or visit your nearest Service NSW centre.

Registrations revoked by law and void registrations

Registration of a relationship may also be revoked by law on the death or marriage of a person in the relationship.

A registration is considered void if:

  • the agreement of one or both persons in the relationship was obtained by fraud, duress or other improper means
  • the relationship was registered when either person was mentally incapable of understanding the nature and effect of registration
  • the relationship was prohibited (i.e. one of the persons was married).

Processing times

Processing of your relationship registration begins when we have received your completed and correct application.

  • Certificates are delivered by registered post. The processing time does not include delivery, please see Australia Post website for current delivery times within Australia or International.
  • Australia Post advises customers to anticipate delays with international post.


Standard service

Priority service

Relationship registration certificate (includes 28 day cooling off period): online application

up to 5 weeks

Not available

Relationship registration certificate (includes 28 day cooling off period): paper application

up to 6 weeks

Not available

Revoke a registered relationship (includes 90 day cooling off period)

up to 13 weeks

Not available

Commemorative relationship certificate: online application

up to 3 weeks

Not available

Commemorative relationship certificates

Celebrate the registration of your relationship with a commemorative certificate.

You can choose from one of two designs on your relationship registration application form.

Opera house

Relationship certificate featuring the Sydney Opera House

Sydney Harbour

Relationship certificate featuring Sydney Harbour


Top of page